The Environment Agency estimates that more than five million people are at risk from flooding in the UK and we all know it is an issue in Warrington. Flooding can occur for a number of reasons, it may be as a result of rivers or streams over flowing, it may be due to heavy rain overwhelming drainage systems or it might be due to technical failure such as damage to a water main.
Property owners are responsible for protecting their own properties in the event of flooding, if you are a tenant it will be your landlord who has this responsibility. Local authorities do not have a legal obligation to store and provide the public with sandbags, unless the flooding is from the highways or council land. However, the council will, where possible, provide sandbags and equipment to protect people or property where there is an immediate flooding threat to residential properties.
A flood can have a devastating effect on your home, land or property. The emergency services and local authorities have made special arrangements should a disaster occur and they would implement the necessary action quickly. However, as with all emergencies, the emergency services may not be able to get to you straight away.
Find out here how best to protect your home against flooding, how to limit flood damage and what to do in the aftermath of a deluge.
Advice on flooding
- Keep a list of important numbers with you – emergency services, utilities, insurance company
- Familiarise yourself with the isolation points for water, gas and electricity for your property
- If you feel you are at risk of flooding, remove important documents and belongings to a safe place
- Contact the Floodline on 0845 988 11 88 for up to the minute advice on the risk of your area flooding and sign up to the Environment Agency flood warning service - Visit the Environment Agency website.
- Call the council's contact centre on 01925 443322 if you require sandbags. Please note sandbags can only be supplied if there is an immediate flooding threat to the property.
Visit the Environment Agency updates website to find out the latest in the Warrington area - it's uploaded every 15 minutes.