Urban Traffic Management and Control (UTMC)
Urban Traffic Management and Control (UTMC) is Warrington ’s central network management centre. We aim to keep Warrington ’s roads moving by managing the road network, easing congestion and providing information to the travelling public.
Warrington has an extremely innovative control centre which consists of a highly intelligent traffic control system and many supporting Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) that assist us in managing the network.
Intelligent Transport systems
These are tools which help the UTMC team gather and pass on traffic and travel information. Examples of these systems include:
- CCTV cameras
- Automatic number plate recognition cameras
- Automatic traffic counters
- Variable message signs
- Car park guidance systems
- Air quality monitoring
The UTMC system offers enhanced traffic management and monitoring capabilities across the town, which all residents and visitors will benefit from.
UTMC monitor and manage traffic by:
- Monitoring traffic flow and congestion throughout the town.
- Considerable use is made of CCTV for monitoring congestion hotspots.
- Manual adjustments to signal timings to cater for unusual traffic flow.
- Regularly providing details of traffic conditions to the media
- Links with other local authorities and the Highway Agency to share surrounding network information.