Dog warden service
Responsible dog ownership
It is estimated that there are over 1,500,000 dogs in the Merseyside and Cheshire area, some of which are allowed to stray. Each day they produce around 60 tonnes of dog mess!
Much of this is left on footpaths, parks and playing fields. At best it gets on shoes and clothes. At worst it can cause blindness through an infection called 'Toxocara Canis'.
Local Authorities can now designate land under the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996. On the designated land, it is an offence for an owner or keeper of a dog to fail to clear up after their dog has fouled. Failure to comply can result in a prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.
It is not a defence to claim that you did not know or were not there when the dog fouled.
Never let your dog out alone.
When you walk a dog, always carry the means to clean up after it. Parks and other areas are not provided as dog toilets!
Remember, rain does not wash the problem away. Never let your dog out alone to go to the loo.
It is everyone's duty to clean up after their dog.
There is no excuse, fouling is unacceptable!
Responsible dog ownership
- Train your dog in basic obedience, so it is under proper control at all times.
- Train your dog to go to the toilet at home - if your pet accidentally fouls in public, make sure that YOU clean it up.
- Always have a poop scoop, or other means, to clean up when you walk your dog.
- Keep your dog on a lead when in public – it is an offence for your dog to roam the streets.
- There are financial penalties if a dog warden picks up your dog. Stray dogs are taken to Manchester and Cheshire Dogs Home. A fee is charged for reclaimed dogs
- Take your dog to the vet for its vaccinations.
- Make sure that your dog has a healthy, balanced diet and gets plenty of exercise.
- When your dog leaves your property it MUST wear a collar and tag.
- Don't let your dog be a nuisance or danger to other people or animals.
- Groom your dog regularly and check for fleas. If your pet does have fleas, the council's Pest Control section can treat your home if necessary (there may be a charge for this service).
- Worm your dog regularly.
- Consider having your dog neutered.
- Dogs are good for people, people should be good for dogs.
- Do not leave your dog in a car in hot weather.
Use our online form to report a dog owner who had not cleaned up after their dog has fouled.
If you are being disturbed by barking dogs you can use the online noise reporting form to tell us about it, and we will investigate it as a noise complaint.