Dog warden service

Stray dogs

An unattended dog in a public place is a stray dog. Stray dogs are not only a danger to themselves but can be a risk or cause nuisance to members of the public.

It is an offence for a pet dog to be in a public place without a collar and tag with the owners name and address on it - this includes when a person is in charge of the dog. If the dog has an identity tag it allows the dog warden to find the owner immediately, causing less worry for the owner and less stress for the dog.

The dog warden can give you advice on responsible dog ownership, including routine health care such as worming and de-fleaing, vaccinating your dog, neutering and micro-chipping.

Report a stray dog 

If you want to report a dog lost, found or straying between 8am-12noon, Monday-Friday, please Contact Warrington.

Animal Wardens provide our ‘out of hours’ service from 12noon–1am during weekdays and over the weekends.  To report a stray dog between the hours of 12noon-1am, Monday-Friday, or anytime on Saturday and Sunday, please contact the Animal Wardens on 0161 334 0042.

After a stray dog is contained

Animal Wardens respond to calls from members of the public and, in the first instance, they will try to reunite stray dogs with their owners for a nominal fee.  This fee is at the discretion of the Animal Wardens and must be paid directly to them before your dog can be returned to you.

If the fee isn't paid or it's not possible to trace the dog owner, the wardens will provide overnight kennelling before the dog is transported to Cheshire Dogs Home the next working day and the recovery fees below will then apply.

Recovery fees

If your dog has been seized by the dog warden and taken to Cheshire Dogs Home, you will be required to pay a recovery fee.  All recovery fees must be paid in full to Cheshire Dogs Home. Your dog must be reclaimed within seven days; any unclaimed, healthy dogs will be put up for adoption by Cheshire Dogs Home.

On and after 1 April 2014 
Up to 3 days
Up to 7 days
8+ days
Dogs will be put up for adoption by Cheshire Dogs Home


If you are being disturbed by barking dogs you can use the online noise reporting form to tell us about it, and we will investigate it as a noise complaint.