If you are a permanent resident in Warrington with a disability, you may be able to apply for a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass.

Do I automatically qualify ?

If you fall into one of the categories listed below you may be issued with a disabled bus pass without further assessment:

  • registered blind (severely sight impaired) or partially sighted
  • receives the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance 
  • score 8 points or more of the “moving around” and/or “communicating verbally” activities of the Personal Independent Payment 
  • receives a war pensioner's mobility supplement

You're required to provide evidence of your disability benefit and need a letter dated within the last 12 months; please contact the DWP Disability Service Centre if you need a new letter.

We do not accept yearly update letters; please ask for your full entitlement letter or statement of entitlement which includes a point’s breakdown if you are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment. All benefit letters will need to show if your entitlement is either ongoing, indefinite or has an end date.

If you don't automatically qualify:

If you fall into one of the categories listed below you may be issued with a disabled bus pass after further assessment:

  • profoundly or severely deaf
  • without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • does not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • has a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • would, if applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have the application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

You're required to provide supporting evidence from any medical professional to confirm your disability in relation to the category you apply under.

Where and when you can travel 

Bus pass holders can travel for free on journeys in Warrington, Halton and Cheshire West & Chester during the following times (you can travel into Wales providing your journey starts in the Cheshire West and Chester area). The same concessions apply to Dial-a-Ride:

  • Monday to Friday, after 9.30am until the last bus
  • Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays, anytime

Blind or partially sighted pass holders are entitled to free travel before 9.30am when boarding in Warrington, Halton and Cheshire West & Chester

Travel outside of Warrington, Halton and Cheshire West and Chester is free during the following times:

  • Monday - Friday,  9.30am - 11pm
  • At all times, on a Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays. 

Full fares apply at all other times. 

Bus Passes issued by Warrington Borough Council aren't valid for use on trains, trams, underground services, tours/excursions, sightseeing buses or National Express coaches.

You’ll need to include:

  • proof of address - such as your driving licence, benefit award/pension letter, or we can check our records (we don’t accept utility bills, bank statements or tenancy agreements)
  • proof of identity - such as the photo of your passport, a valid driving licence photocard, marriage certificate or birth certificate (if you're a married woman - you'll also need a marriage certificate)
  • a passport-style photograph of yourself (taken within the last month)
  • Proof of disability - acceptable forms of evidence are detailed on the application form

You’ll need to have a photo of each of these, or have them scanned onto your computer, phone or tablet, so that you can attach them to your application.

If you’re unable to upload your documents to your application, please email them to concessionarytravel@warrington.gov.uk or post them to Concessionary Travel Team, East Annexe, Town Hall, Sankey Street, Warrington WA1 1UH.

During the application process, we may ask you for more information or evidence, or we may ask you to meet with an independent assessor.

Bus passes are issued free of charge and valid for up to a maximum of 5 years dependent on the category you apply under.  If you wish to reapply, please do so before the expiry date of your current bus pass by following the same application process, described above. 

If your bus pass is lost or damaged

Please tell us if you need a replacement bus pass, there is a fee of £10. You’ll be asked to make a card payment to complete the request, card payments will appear on your bank statement as ‘WBC MV Internet’ followed by the amount paid.

If you find your lost pass before you receive your new one, we can’t give you a refund. Please return the found pass to us for secure disposal.

If your bus pass won't scan

Please tell us if your bus pass won’t scan. You’ll be asked to return you pass so we can check it for you. If there's no clear or obvious damage to the card we'll arrange for a replacement free of charge. If the pass is damaged, a replacement pass costs £10.

If your bus pass is stolen

Please tell us if you need a replacement bus pass, we’ll arrange a replacement free of charge. You’ll be asked for your crime reference & police force it was reported to.

Moving in or out of Warrington

If you move to Warrington and have a bus pass from another Council, please return it to them, you can then apply to us for a new pass. If you're moving out of Warrington please return your pass to us and apply to your new Council.