If you are a permanent resident in Warrington of state pension age you can apply for a Senior Railcard or an Older Person’s Bus Pass.

If you would like both, you can apply for an Older Person’s Bus Pass from us and purchase a Senior Railcard from National Rail, please see their website for more information.

Check your State Pension age on the GOV.UK website

Railcards are issued free of charge and are valid for 1 year. When we've received your completed application and supporting information, if you qualify, we will provide you with a code which can be redeemed on the National Rail website. 

If you’re over 60 but not of pension age, we can’t give you a code, however, you can purchase a Senior Railcard from National Rail, please see their website for more information.

Benefits of a Senior Railcard

A Senior Railcard gives you 1/3 off a wide range of train fares, not free travel.

Please note that time and train restrictions may apply; not every ticket type is available for every journey you may wish to take. To avoid confusion, please check before booking.

Apply for a code for a Senior Railcard

Download the application form for a code for a Senior Railcard.



Along with your application form, you also need to provide:

  • Proof of address - such as your driving licence, benefit award/pension letter, or we can check our council tax records (we don't accept utility bills, bank statements or tenancy agreements)
  • Proof of identity - such as your birth certificate, passport or driving licence.

You’ll need to have a photo of each of these, or have them scanned onto your computer, phone or tablet, so that you attach them to your email. If you can’t email them, call into Contact Warrington and we can scan your application and documents for you.

Apply for a Senior Railcard on the National Rail website - you'll need to enter the code we have issued you when asked.  

You'll need an email address to enable you to do this, if you don’t have an email address, please call 0345 3000 250 and the National Rail Railcard customer service team will help you complete your application.

Renew your railcard

If you would like to reapply for a new railcard, you'll need to complete a new application form and provide your supporting information again. This will enable us to issue a new code. Please don't apply more than one month in advance of your railcard expiry date.

If you don't want to renew your railcard, you can apply for a bus pass instead. We can't issue a bus pass if you have a valid railcard.

Lost or stolen railcards

If your railcard is lost or stolen, report it to National Rail.  You can find information on their website about how to arrange a replacement.

Contact Warrington

Contact Warrington, 26-30 Horsemarket Street, WA1 1XL

Opening times

Monday 8.45am-5pm 
Tuesday 8.45am-5pm
Wednesday 8.45am-5pm
Thursday 8.45am-5pm
Friday 8.45am-5pm

Telephone: 01925 443322