Care homes, sheltered and supported accommodation

Staying independent is the best way to stay healthy whether you have care needs, a disability or need support into older age.

Most people prefer to stay in their own home and with adaptations and extra help, this is often possible.

If you have already explored options to stay at home, or if someone you care for needs specialised support, then moving home may be the right decision.

Our directory of local services My Life Warrington provides a range of information about accommodation for people with care and support needs.

What is a care home?

Care homes provide 24 hour support to people who can no longer be supported in their own home or in any other setting. There are different types of care homes dependent on an individual’s level of need. Many people arrange their own services. However, before moving to a care home you will often need an assessment of your needs and of your eligibility for support.

What is sheltered or supported accommodation?

There are different types of housing for people who need more support.

Sheltered/retirement housing is usually only offered to people over the age of 55. It is often purpose built accommodation and may have features such as a personal alarm system, where you can contact a manager or warden at the touch of a button if there is an emergency and you need help.

Supported accommodation is usually provided for people under the age of 65, who may need additional support at home due to a learning disability, mental health difficulty or physical or sensory disability. This is often purpose built accommodation, where an individual shares with a small group of people and staff are based in the home for day to day support.

Paying for care

Our directory of local services My Life Warrington provides a range of information about accommodation for people with care and support needs. Some of the types of services that are included in the directory are:

  • Sheltered / retirement housing
  • Housing with care (extra care)
  • Retirement villages
  • Supported housing (often for working age adults)
  • Residential homes
  • Nursing homes
  • Homes for people with mental ill health / dementia

Need extra help?

Many people arrange and pay for their own services. However, you may be eligible for help with arranging and funding your care and support.

The council may be able to help with funding the cost of care if your assets do not exceed £23,250. You may still be required to contribute towards the cost of your care and support, but may not have to pay for all of it.

Find out how much you may have to pay

Our online calculator can help you to find out how much you may need to pay towards your care based on your income, savings and expenses.

Find out how much you may have to pay for your care: Start the online calculator

To request a needs assessment, you can contact the Adult Social Care First Response Team on 01925 443322 or send us a message at We aim to reply to all emails within two working days. 

More useful information:

Housing Choices (Age UK) - Information about what to consider when looking at sheltered housing

Care Homes (Age UK) - Information and advice about care home options and funding arrangements

Care Home Checklist (Age UK) - Handy checklist to use when choosing a care home

Supported Housing (Rethink Mental Illness) - General information about supported housing for people affected by mental ill health