On 12 December 2011, following consultation, we resolved to adopt Schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, as they relate to street trading. This policy took legal effect on the 23 January 2012 and delegated approval on 25 March 2013.
The policy seeks to create a street trading environment which complements premise-based trading. It is also sensitive to the needs of residents, provides diversity and consumer choice and enhances the character, ambience and safety of local environments.
However, as the current version of the policy was last updated in 2014 the Licensing Committee considered a review on 8 September 2020, where council recommended several changes.
In summary, these changes relate to:
- The adoption of further steps to enhance safeguarding
- The streamlining of some of the administrative processes around the renewal and variation of an application
- Greater regard to equality and the need to avoid duplication
- The ability to suspend a licence for poor hygiene and additional controls over waste
- Trading near schools and the maintenance of the nutritional waiver to promote health and wellbeing
The existing policy has assisted in the maintenance of a robust street trading environment in Warrington. The proposed changes are based on new and emerging operational requirements, which should serve to further strengthen the policy.
Share your views
We'd like to hear your views or comments about our draft revised street trading policy for 2020 - 2025, and you can get involved in the following ways:
- Complete the survey online
- Write to Warrington Borough Council, Licensing, Street Trading Policy, Town Hall, East Annex, Sankey Street, Warrington WA1 1UH
- Email us
Data Protection and Confidentiality
We comply with all legislation governing the protection of personal information, including the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Any personal information you supply will remain strictly confidential and anonymous and will be held and used in line with the Data Protection Act 2018. We'll only use your personal information for the purpose for which it has been given.
If you have any concerns or questions about the survey, or require the questionnaire in another language or format including large print, Braille, audio or British Sign Language or require assistance in completing the form, please email email@example.com, and we'll be happy to help.
Closing date and documents
The closing date for responses is Thursday 17 December 2020, 5.00 pm
Download a copy of the revised draft street trading policy: