Licences and permits - Premises licence

Type of licence
Licensing Act 2003
Contact us
Phone: 01925 442517
To provide late-night refreshments, regulated entertainment and sell alcohol, you need a licence from the council.
Who can apply?
You can apply if:

- you do business in the premises you are applying for
- you are a recognised club
- you are a charity
- you a health service body
- you are registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
- you are a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
- you discharge a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
- you are from an educational institute
- you are over 18
How to apply
Applications must be in the specific format and be accompanied by any required fee. It must include an operating schedule, a plan of the premises and a form of consent from the premises supervisor (for applications where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity).

An operating schedule will include details of:

- the licensable activities
- the times when the activities will take place
- any other times when the premises will be open to the public
- in the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for
- information in respect of the premises supervisor
- whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or of the premises or both
- the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives
- any other required information
Fees and charges
Apply for a premise licence - GOV.UK
Apply for a provisional statement - GOV.UK
Apply to vary a premises licence - GOV.UK
Apply for interim change of authority - GOV.UK
Apply for notification of interest - GOV.UK
Apply for a minor variation - GOV.UK
Apply to transfer a premises licence - GOV.UK
Change of name/address/licence - GOV.UK
Consent - designated premises supervisor - GOV.UK
Specify a designated premises supervisor - GOV.UK
Request to be removed as DPS - GOV.UK
Download WBC application forms and guidance
Current Statement of Licensing Policy
Draft Revised Statement of Licensing Policy
After we receive your application.
You may be required to advertise your application and to give notice of the application to any other person or responsible body, e.g. the council, chief police officer, or fire and rescue authority.

The licensing authority must grant the application, which can be subject to conditions. A hearing must be held if any representations are made in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected.

The licensing authority will serve a notice of its decision on the applicant, any person who has made relevant representations (i.e. representations that were not deemed frivolous or vexatious) and the chief of police.

Applications can also be made to vary or transfer a licence. A hearing may have to be heard if representations are made or conditions relating to a transfer are not met.

Other applications that can be made are applications for an interim authority notice following the death, incapacity or insolvency of a licence holder or review applications.

If you have not heard from us by the end of the objection and determination periods set out you can assume that your application has been granted.

- New applications - 28 days for objections and 42 days for determination
- Variation - 28 days for objections and 42 days for determination
- Minor variation - 10 working days for objections and 15 working days for determination
- Transfer - 14 days for objections and 20 working days for determination
- Change of DPS - 14 days for objections and 20 working days for determination
- Surrender - 7 working days for determination
- Removal of DPS - immediate
- Provisional statement - 28 days for objections and 42 days for determination
- Interim authority notice - immediate
- Notification of interest - immediate
- Removal of DPS in community centre - 28 days for objections and 42 days for determination
Please contact the council in the first instance.

If your application is refused, you can appeal to the magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of refusal.

If you already have a premises licence, you can appeal against the following:

- Conditions attached to the licence
- Rejection of a licence variation application
- Rejection of a transfer application
- Decision to ban an activity on the premises or reject a person as premises supervisor

Your appeal should be to a magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.
Anyone can apply to the licensing authority to review the premises licence. A hearing will be held by the council.

he chief police officer for the police area of the premises can ask the council for a review of the licence if the premises are licensed to sell alcohol and a senior officer has given a certificate that they believe that the premises are associated with either serious crime or disorder or both. A hearing will be held and the licence holder and other interested parties may be involved.

A chief police officer can give a notice to the council if they believe that the transfer of a licence to another, under a variation application, could affect crime prevention. Such a notice must be given within 14 days of receiving notification of the application.

Anyone can object to a licence application or request the licensing body to review a licence.