Licences and permits - Food premises registration

Type of licence
Alcohol, food and entertainment
Contact us
Tel: 01925 442517
If you store, sell, distribute or prepare food you must register with the council.

If you use vehicles along with your restaurant, shop or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. If you have one or more vehicles but no restaurant, shop or warehouse, you must tell us where they are normally kept. If you sell from your vehicle you may also need a Street Trading Licence.

Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all the food business premises in our area so that we can visit them when we need to. The number of times we visit will depend on the type of business.

Starting a food business
Who can apply?
Anyone who is thinking of or has started to sell, distribute or prepare food.
How to apply
If you are planning to open a food business there are a few things you need to bear in mind.

We advise that you have some catering experience and/or qualifications, and have a documented food safety management system. When looking for premises, make sure you consider food safety legislation and that the layout and design of the premises follow the rules on:

- suitable workspace
- facilities for cleaning food equipment and hands
- storage space, including refrigeration
- bins and wastes arrangements
- staff facilities
- ventilation
- drainage

For further information on starting up a food business, see the Food Standards Agency website

- Food businesses must complete a registration form and return it to the council’s environmental health department
- Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge
- If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately
- You must tick all the boxes that apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all information requested
- If you are planning to open a food business within the borough you need to register with us 28 days before opening
- Seasonal businesses open for a certain period each year should give the dates they will be open
- If you use a mobile van you should register with the council where you keep the vehicle overnight, even if that is not the area where you trade

You will need to make a new application if you need to transfer or change your licence.

There are no terms and conditions available for this licence. All the information you need is on the application form.
Fees and charges
There are no fees for this type of licence.
Apply for a new application - GOV.UK
Legislation and guidance
After we receive your application
We aim to process your application as soon as possible, once we have your permit will be issued immediately.
You can appeal if:

- you're refused a licence
- you're a licence holder and are unhappy with a condition attached to your licence
- you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate

If you're planning to appeal, please contact the council in the first instance.
If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise for that person to contact your directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If that has not worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.

Food hygiene complaint form:
Citizens Advice Guide
UK European Consumer Centre
Link 1
Trade associations - Livestock and Meat Commission for Northern Island (LMC):
Link 2
Trade associations - National Federation of Meat and Food Traders:
Link 3
Trade associations - Scottish Federation of Meat Traders Associations (SFMTA):