Licences and permits - Market stall

To run a market stall you need a licence from the council.

Warrington Market is well established in the town and home to a wide variety of independent businesses and small traders.

Being a market trader means that your general overheads can be fairly low, i.e. no rates and utility bills to pay as that is all covered in the fee.
Regulation summary:
Who can apply?
Anyone over the age of 18 can apply to run a market stall.
Fees and charges
No fee will apply for your application. However, you will be responsible for the daily rent of your market stall. Contact us for more information.
Apply for a new application - GOV.UK
Download WBC application forms and guidance
After we receive your application
You will be able to act as though your application has been granted if you do not hear from us within 28 days of your application.

We will determine your application based upon:

- trading history
- product lines to be carried
- availability of market stalls
- if other traders are already currently selling the same or similar products close by

Your market stall will be checked regularly to ensure you are complying with market and trading regulations.

If you plan to make any changes to the product lines you sell or sale of goodwill on your market stall, please contact us in the first instance. Fees may apply for processing changes.

You may need to provide public liability insurance with your application, plus proof of identity.

Trading laws apply in terms of opening hours and there are certain items which cannot be sold in the market. Please contact us for more information.
You can appeal if:

- you're refused a licence
- you're a licence holder and are unhappy with a condition attached to your licence
- you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate

If you're planning to appeal, please contact the council in the first instance.
If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise for that person to contact your directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If that has not worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.
Citizens Advice Guide
UK European Consumer Centre