Licences and permits - Scrap metal dealer

Contact us
Tel: 01925 442517
To operate as a scrap metal dealer within Warrington you need to apply for a licence.

There are 2 types:

- A site licence lets you buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location in Warrington
- A collector’s licence allows you to travel within Warrington to collect scrap metal.

You can only apply for one type of licence in Warrington and you’ll need to renew your licence every 3 years.

Don't forget that you'll need to apply for collector's licenses from separate authorities if you wish to operate in more than one council area.
Fees and charges
Site Licence

- £303 - new licence
- £270.10 - renewal
- £26 - variation

Collectors licence

- £196.30 - new licence
- £174 - renewal
- £26 - variation
Apply for a new application - GOV.UK
Scrap dealers record book
This scrap dealers record book is an example of what you need to record for each item of scrap metal you receive. You must record and retain all details for three years:
Download WBC application forms and guidance
Basic Disclosure Certificate
You and every person listed on the application form must submit a Basic Disclosure Certificate from Disclosure Scotland. You can apply online for a ‘Basic Disclosure’ with Disclosure Scotland and there is a fee payable to them:
ID requirements
You'll also need to provide three forms of ID by email or post:

- Passport
- Driving licence
- Utility bill
- Bank or credit card statement
After we receive your application
We will process your application as soon as possible. Applications for this licence are subject to a 28-day consultation period.
You can appeal if:

- you're refused a licence
- you're a licence holder and are unhappy with a condition attached to your licence
- you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate

If you're planning to appeal, please contact the council in the first instance. Appeals must then be made to the local magistrates' court within 21 days of the licensing decision.
If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise for that person to contact your directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If that has not worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.
Citizens Advice Guide
UK European Consumer Centre
List of scrap metal dealer licenses