Flooding advice for residents

The Environment Agency estimates that more than five million people are at risk from flooding in the UK. Flooding can be caused by overflowing rivers or streams, heavy rain, blocked drains or technical failures such as damage to a water main. 

Property owners are responsible for protecting their own properties in the event of flooding, if you are a tenant it will be your landlord's responsibility. Councils don't have a legal obligation to store and provide the public with sandbags unless the flooding is from the road or council land.

A flood can have a devastating effect on your home, land or property. We work with the emergency services and should a disaster occur we would implement the necessary action quickly. 

What you can do

  • Check your flood risk and sign up for free flood warnings via the Environment Agency Flood Information Services or call Floodline 0845 988 1188.
  • Make a flood plan (Environment Agency website) to make sure you, your family and your home will be protected if the worst happens
  • Keep a list of important numbers with you – emergency services, utilities, insurance company 
  • Familiarise yourself with the isolation points for water, gas and electricity for your property 
  • If you feel you are at risk of flooding, remove important documents and belongings to a safe place 
  • Contact the Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for up to the minute advice on the risk of your area flooding and sign up to the Environment Agency flood warning service - Visit the Environment Agency Flood Information Services.
  • Call us on 01925 443322 if you require sandbags. Please note sandbags will only be issued in accordance with the councils sandbag policy.

Flood alerts

In cases of severe flooding, the council will keep its website: www.warrington.gov.uk/floods and facebook and twitter pages as up to date as possible.

You can also sign up for free flood warning and alerts from the Environment Agency.

Report a flooding issue

Use our online form to report a blocked drain or gully causing flooding


Stay up-to-date with flood insurance changes:

How you can help us help you

As the public, you are our eyes and ears to local flooding events. Flooding can happen quickly and disappear just as fast so we need your knowledge, photos and other records to help us investigate incidents and apply for funding.  Information is invaluable so please send anything that might help us to floodrisk@warrington.gov.uk

Useful leaflets  

If you own land or property alongside a river or other watercourse, including a culvert

A 'watercourse' is any natural or artificial channel that water flows through such as a river, including where a river flows through a culvert, brook, beck, or mill stream. If you own property alongside a watercourse, you may be the 'Riparian Owner' and could be responsible for up to the centre line of a watercourse.

View the Riparian Ownership guide on the Environment Agency website which explains your rights and responsibilities as a riverside property owner.