Online forms: Potholes, or other damage to roads or footpaths

If a pothole or road condition issue is causing an immediate danger to the safety of road users, it's classified as an emergency. You should contact us by telephone to report an emergency rather than using our online form.  Please telephone 01925 443322 – this number is operational 24/7, 365 days a year.

Report a pothole

It is the council's duty to maintain the highway network as laid out in the Highway inspection code of practice.

Help our inspectors by reporting any issues that you spot. Use this form to tell us about an issue with a road, pavement or footpath in a public area, including:

  • potholes
  • uneven kerbs
  • missing cats eyes
  • issues with road markings
  • road sign defects
  • damaged paving
  • damaged pedestrian bollards

See details on what guidance our inspectors follow in relation to potholes. 

Pothole repair times

Potholes on the carriageway less than 4cm and less than 2.5 cm on a footpath aren't normally actionable. Once we receive a report where potholes exceed these depths an inspection is normally carried out within 10 working days, although routine inspections of all the authorities adopted highway are carried out during the year. After the inspection and depending on the severity of the pothole, the repair would usually be carried out within seven working days.

Repair times will vary according to the size, depth and location of the pothole. 

Find out more information on how potholes are repaired from our partner Lafrage tarmac who were awarded a contract as the Highways Term Maintenance Contractor in April 2014.

To use this form you will need to tell us:

  • What the problem is
  • Where the problem is (as much detail as possible about the location)
  • What kind of issues it is causing to road users / pedestrians
  • If it’s a pothole, how deep it is
  • You can also upload images of the problem

You can report a problem anonymously if you wish, but you will need to provide an email address so that we can confirm we have received your report and tell you your reference number.

Please don’t use this form to report an issue on an unadopted road or on private land – report this directly to the property owner.

We will only ever use this information to deliver the service that you have requested. 

The data we collect from our online forms is stored for no more than six weeks.  However teams within the council may store your data for longer in order to continue to provide you with the service you have requested.  For more information see our website privacy policy.

Please note: For security reasons our online forms have a 10-minute timeout feature (per page of the form) - the details you have entered will NOT be saved if you take more than 10 minutes to type information into each page of the form.

Therefore if the details of your complaint will take a while to type, you may like to draft the wording before you begin this form, and then copy and paste it in response to the relevant questions.