Technical maintenance

Our online revenues and benefits portal has been taken down for maintenance today. Normal service should resume tomorrow. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Online forms: Planning breach

What is a breach of planning control?

A breach of planning control is defined by the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 as ‘the carrying out of development without the required planning permission, or failing to comply with any condition or limitation subject to which planning permission has been granted’.

Most minor additions and alterations can be undertaken without needing to apply for planning permission as they benefit from ‘permitted development rights’. This basically means that planning permission isn't required. The government sets out the types of development that can benefit from these rights and the limitations and conditions that need to be adhered to when exercising them. 

Before submitting an enforcement complaint please consider the extent of 'permitted development rights' as the majority of complaints that we receive result in no action being taken because planning permission is not required.

You can identify whether a planning application has been approved for a particular site using our interactive mapping.

It's also important to note that government guidance states that enforcement action should be proportionate to the breach of planning control to which it relates. Formal enforcement action should be avoided where there is a trivial or technical breach of control which causes no material harm or adverse impact on the amenity of the site or the surrounding area. In this case action would solely be undertaken so as to regularise the development.

Having identified the particular development that you're concerned about please read and consider the guidance around whether or not planning permission is required.

If there is more than one development type that you're concerned about, please complete the form separately for each development type.

To use this form you need to tell us:

  • The location of the development
  • The type of breach, e.g. unapproved works, non-compliance with approved plans, unauthorised development
  • Full details about the breach and any evidence you have
  • You can upload an image to send to us with this form

The data we collect from our online forms is stored for no more than six weeks. However teams within the council may store your data for longer in order to continue to provide you with the service you have requested.  For more information see our website privacy policy.