Online forms: Landlord change of tenancy details

We know that landlords are busy, but the council should be kept informed of all tenancy changes immediately (within 21 days). This allows our team to provide a more efficient service to you and your tenants by sending correct bills, and awarding discounts and exemptions promptly.

If you are a Landlord or Agent (e.g. Letting Agent, Estate Agent, Housing Association etc.) and you have a tenant moving in or out of a rental property, you can inform us of the change using this form. 

Please be aware we will not usually register tenants for a retrospective period. For us to consider a request to register tenants for a past period, we will need to see full supporting evidence such as:

  • tenancy agreements
  • proof of rent paid
  • utility bills
  • tenants forwarding address and contact details
  • employment details

From 1 February 2016, before allowing an adult to live in your property you have to check that they have document(s) that show they have the right to be in the UK. You should check all adults who will live in your property regardless of what you believe their nationality to be.  More information can be found on the .gov website You can also download the user guide of Right to Rent Document Checks. If we need further evidence to help us determine who should be liable for the Council Tax, we may ask you to provide a copy of the document you retained as part of the Right to Rent checks.

We may decide that there is insufficient information available to consider registering the tenant for Council Tax and we may bill you for the period in question. This is why it is important to tell the Council Tax section promptly when tenants move in and out.

Between tenants, the owner is liable for council tax and it is the owner, landlord or letting agents' responsibility to notify the Council of any change in tenancy.

Any request for a discount must be applied for within 21 days of any change in tenancy, as these reductions will not be awarded retrospectively. Prior to 1st April 2016 a 100% discount could be awarded for up to 3 months, for properties which become unoccupied and unfurnished, followed by a 25% discount.  From 1st April 2016 a 100% discount will only be granted for a maximum of 1 month, after which no discount will apply.  If as at 1st April 2016 your property has already been unoccupied and unfurnished for 1 month or more no discount will apply.  There is no discount for properties which are unoccupied but furnished, however you must still report the property as being unoccupied.

Failure to apply within 21 days will result in any reduction only being awarded from the date of application.

Houses In Multiple Occupation

Owners of Houses in Multiple Occupation are liable for the Council Tax not the tenants. Under Council Tax legislation a property is a House in Multiple Occupation if the following criteria is met: -

  • The property is occupied by more than one household
  • The tenants pay rent for part only of the property
  • The tenants only have access to certain parts of the property for their own use and share kitchen and bathroom facilities with other tenants

Even if a property is determined as not functioning as a house in multiple occupation under the Housing Act 2004 and the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006, the property may fall under the definition of a house in multiple occupation under the Council Tax (Liability for Owners) Regulations 1993.

You must notify the council if you are letting a property as a House in Multiple Occupation.

Landlord Information – Tenants claiming Housing Benefit

We will only ever use this information to deliver the service that you have requested. 

The data we collect from our online forms is stored for no more than six weeks.  However teams within the council may store your data for longer in order to continue to provide you with the service you have requested.  For more information see our website privacy policy.