What approval do you need?

Before you make improvements always check if you need building regulation approval or planning permission.

Generally you will need building control approval for new buildings, extensions or structural alterations to existing buildings and to change the use of buildings.  Also you will need approval for certain improvements such as electrical works or works involving gas appliances unless you employ a registered competent person who is qualified to approve the works themselves.