Social housing

Most social housing in Warrington which is available for let will be offered through Under One Roof

This includes properties owned by:

The remaining social landlords, including Warrington Housing Association and Clarion Housing offer 50% of the nominations through Under One Roof.and allocate the others directly themselves. Other providers may have small schemes in Warrington, including Housing 21 and applicants may also wish to register separately with these providers.

Golden Gates Housing Trust (GGHT) provides social housing in Warrington.  All property was transferred from Warrington Borough Council to GGHT in 2010. 

Who can apply for social housing

Generally, you can apply for social housing if you are aged 18+ and:

  • a British citizen, or
  • a citizen of another country with the right to stay in the UK with no restrictions on how long you can stay 

16 and 17 year olds who are care leavers or are homeless and are supported by the council are also eligible to apply. 

You may be excluded from housing if you have a record of antisocial behaviour, neighbour nuisance or you are in rent arrears.  To find out more read pages 10-11 of Council's Allocations Policy [pdf].

More detailed information about eligibility to apply, plus how homes are allocated, is available in Council's Allocations Policy [pdf]. To register for social housing please visit Under One Roof

Housing swap

You can swap your home with another tenant as long as all the parties and organisations involved are in agreement, you don't owe any rent and your home and garden is in good condition.  For the full list of rules, visit the GGHT website: swapping your home with another tenant

Golden Gates Housing Trust use the national HomeSwapper scheme, which is free for their tenants.  Visit the HomeSwapper website to sign up and enter your requirements.  The site will then automatically match every advertised property against your requirements and will alert you by email or text message when a potential swap is found. 

For more information please visit

Right to Buy scheme 

The Right to Buy scheme (GOV.UK website) was introduced in 1980 and is designed to help social tenants buy their home at a discount off the full market value of the property.

Although the council no longer owns any social housing in Warrington (all housing stock was transferred to Golden Gates Housing Trust (GGHT) on 29 November 2010) secure tenants who rented a property from them before this transfer, i.e. whilst the properties were still owned by the council, may have a preserved Right to Buy depending on the length of the tenancy and the type of property being considered for purchase.  Further information on Right to Buy is available on the GGHT website.

Right to Acquire scheme 

The Right to Acquire scheme (GOV .UK website) allows some housing association tenants (including some GGHT tenants who started their tenancies after the housing stock transfer on 29 November 2010) to buy the home they rent at a discounted price.  As with Right to Buy, this excludes certain types of accommodation including shared properties, sheltered housing and tied accommodation, such as a warden’s flat.  

You must be a housing association tenant to be considered for the right to acquire and the property you want to buy must be your only or main home.  To qualify, you must have been a housing association, council, armed forces or other public housing tenant for a total of at least:

  • five years if your tenancy started on or after 18 January 2005 
  • two years if your tenancy started before 18 January 2005. 

Only some housing association properties can be bought under the right to acquire. Your home must have been:

  • built or bought by the housing association after 1 April 1997, and 
  • paid for through a social housing grant. 

For further information on Right to Acquire, please contact your landlord directly.

For both types of scheme, applicants should get independent legal advice and should consider all the costs and legal implications involved in purchase and owning their own home before making this commitment.