Private renting

Finding a home to rent

There are a number of letting agents in Warrington who can assist with finding private rented accommodation.  Many of these companies are based in the town centre and advertise through the local paper, the Warrington Guardian.

If you wish to access social housing, there are a number of Registered Providers (formally Housing Associations) with properties in the Borough and most of these offer properties which are available for let through a choice based lettings process called CHOOSEaHOME.  The system is internet based and applicants who are unable to access computer facilities can be assisted by staff in housingplus.         

There are a number of supported housing schemes which provide specialist accommodation for particular groups of people.  These include James Lee House, which is run by the Salvation Army and provides accommodation for single adult men aged 18 years and over.

Verve Place offers accommodation within a safe environment for 16 – 25 year olds who are homeless, have a housing problem or are currently living in insecure accommodation or an unsafe environment.

Warrington YMCA and Room at the Inn, which is an emergency night shelter can also offer temporary accommodation for some people in housing crisis.

Warrington Women’s Aid can also provide emergency accommodation for women fleeing domestic violence.

All these providers accept self referrals and referrals from other agencies.

Bond Guarantee Scheme 

For people who need accommodation but can’t access social housing, the Bond Guarantee Scheme may be appropriate.  On this scheme, the council will cover the bond with the private sector landlord for a period of between 6 and 18 months, which enables applicants to save up for the bond themselves, whilst living in the rented accommodation.  The scheme is open to Warrington residents with a minimum age of 18 years and is subject to the landlord accepting the applicant for a tenancy and agreeing to the council’s bond conditions.  For further information about the scheme and its terms and conditions, contact housingplus.