Different types of council tax discounts and exemptions

Members of religious communities

Members of a religious community, such as monks and nuns, are not counted for council tax purposes:

To qualify as a member of a religious community:

  • you must have no personal income or capital
  • your main work is be concerned with prayer, contemplation, education and the relief of suffering

Complete exemptions from council tax 

Properties waiting for a minister of religion to occupy them are exempt from council tax:

The property must be being held for a minister of any religious denomination, from which they will perform the duties of their office.

The owner of the property (rather than the residents of the property) is liable for council tax for both houses of religious communities and residences of ministers of religion.