Different types of council tax discounts and exemptions

Full time students and student nurses

What is a full time student?

To be considered as a full time student, you must be enrolled on a course with a prescribed educational establishment. This may be anywhere in the European Union provided it is solely or mainly for the purpose of providing further or higher education.

You'll usually be considered a full-time student for council tax purposes if:

  • you are enrolled to attend a course of education lasting for at least one academic or calendar year - and which you are normally required to attend for at least 24 weeks out of the year and study for at least 21 hours per week during term time (hours spent studying and working at home or with an employer on a work placement should count towards the definition of being a full time student, provided you are undertaking activities which form part of the course). If everyone living in the property is a student the property will be exempt from paying any council tax and you can apply for an exemption for a property occupied only by students

    If one or more people living in the property is a student they are not counted for council tax purposes so you may be entitled to apply for a 25% discount.


  • you are under 20 and your course leads to a qualification up to (but not above) A-Level standard or equivalent - as long as it lasts for more than three months and involves more than 12 hours of study per week you can apply for a student discount

Student nurses

A student nurse is someone who is taking a course which leads to a registration under the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979. Student nurses on Project 2000 are considered to be full-time students.

For nurses a prescribed educational establishment is a College of nursing and midwifery or a College of health.

Apply for an exemption for university or college halls of residence

If a property is unoccupied due to a student living elsewhere during term time then you can apply for an exemption for an unoccupied property due to a student living elsewhere during term time

Non-British Spouse/Dependant of a Student

If a full-time student has a non-British husband or wife or civil partner who holds a visa, we may be able to grant a discount, but it depends on the terms of their visa. To get the discount, the visa must prevent the person from:

  • taking paid employment in the UK or
  • claiming benefits in the UK.

We will need to see your student certificate, visa and both passports.

Contact us for more details