Council tax

Changes in your circumstances

If your household has changed, you must update the electoral register by visiting

It is important that you tell us about any changes in your circumstances that may affect your council tax liability.

The following are examples of changes of circumstances that would affect your liability.

Council tax:

  • If you move address.
  • If you believe that you are entitled to a discount or exemption.
  • If you believe that you are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption.
  • If the Valuation Officer (Inland Revenue) amends the band of your property.
  • If your property changes from empty to occupied (or vice versa)
Online forms
  • If you are moving from a property in Warrington where you already pay council tax please use the ' Change of address form'
  • If you have moved from out of the Warrington area or have not paid council tax in Warrington before please use the ' New occupier form' Please also use this form if the new property is to be rented out or if you are not moving in straight away.
  • If you need to make a change to your council tax account because your circumstances have changed please use our ' Council tax amendment form'
  • If you're a landlord and need to tell us about a tenant moving in or out please complete the Landlord change of tenant form

The council has the discretion to impose a penalty of £70 on a liable person, who fails to notify that a discount should not have been granted

Council tax and moving house

You need to inform us when:

  • You move house within the Warrington area
  • You have recently moved into or out of Warrington
  • Any adult occupier of your property moves in or out

This is to make sure we are billing you for the correct amount of council tax.

You can inform us about a change of address using our online forms.

If you wish to report a change in the number of occupiers in your property which may affect your council tax liability please use our amendment request online form.

You can also contact the Benefits and Exchequer service (see right) to report the move or changes.

The information we would require is:

  • Your council tax account number
  • Your name, address and contact telephone number
  • The address to which you are moving
  • The date you are moving
  • The date the property is being sold or the tenancy ends (if different)
  • Confirmation as to whether or not all furniture will be removed.
  • The name and address of the solicitors acting on your behalf
  • The landlords or agent's name and address (if the property is subject to a tenancy)
  • The name and present address of the incoming occupier (if known)