Different types of council tax discounts and exemptions
Properties unfit for habitation, or under planning restrictions, demolition orders or compulsory purchase orders
You can apply for an exemption from council tax for properties where occupation is forbidden by law.
- Apply for an exemption for a property where occupation is forbidden by law - please contact us 01925 443210 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This includes homes which are:
- Unfit for human habitation (by the council's Environmental Services)
- Subject to planning restrictions which prohibit occupation
- Subject to demolition orders
- Subject to compulsory purchase orders
There is no time limit to this exemption.
If the property becomes illegally inhabited, e.g. by squatters, then the squatters will be liable to pay council tax.