Housing benefit and council tax support


We call people who are aged 18 or over and usually resident in your household, a 'non dependant'. 

When we calculate your benefit/support we will take into account the circumstances of you, your partner, your children and your non dependants. Therefore, we need to know the circumstances of your non dependants and you will need to provide evidence of their income if they have any. 

Non dependants are expected (by the government) to contribute towards the rent and council tax. Therefore, depending on the non dependant’s income, we will take a deduction from the amount of rent and council tax you pay before awarding benefit. The deduction will vary according to the amount of income your non dependant receives. 

You will need to provide proof of the income your non dependant receives, see the checklist in related documents for information about the proof needed. 

We do not call the following people non dependants:

    • your partner
    • a child you receive child benefit for (up to age 19)
    • a person under age 18
    • a person in full time education
    • a person on a youth training scheme
    • a tenant or boarder  

    We will not take a deduction in the following situations:

    • if you or your partner are receiving Attendance Allowance
    • if you or your partner are registered blind
    • if you or your partner are receiving the care component of Disability Living Allowance
    • if the non-dependant is on Income Support, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance (Assessment phase) and
    • under 25 years old If the non-dependant is a full-time student, or on a Youth Training Scheme
    • if the non-dependant is in hospital for 52 weeks or more