Housing benefit and council tax support

Your responsibilities as a benefit claimant

When you make a claim for housing benefit and council tax support you have certain responsibilities throughout the lifetime of your claim.

Completing a benefit claim form

Your responsibilities are to:

  • read and understand your claim form thoroughly
  • answer every question
  • give full information, without missing details that have been asked for
  • read, sign and understand the declaration at the end of the form.

If you live with your partner (same or opposite sex) you both have the responsibility to provide accurate information as shown above.

Receiving letters from us

We will write to you when we have assessed your claim, and then we will write to you again every time we make a change to your claim. You have responsibilities when you receive a letter from us:

  • read the letter thoroughly
  • check that any details shown are correct. For example, check that the income details used in assessment are correct
  • inform us straight away if anything is not correct.

Telling us about a change of circumstances

You are required by law to tell us of any changes in your circumstances. You must inform us straight away if your circumstances change. Some examples of changes you must tell us about are:

  • any changes in the number of members of your household e.g. someone moves in or out. You must tell us if there any changes in the circumstances of the people that live in your house e.g. they start work etc.
  • your income increases or decreased. This includes if you start to receive any or are no longer entitled to any source of income. This includes earnings, pensions, state benefits, capital, tax credits or any other income. Even if you have been in touch with Job Centre Plus or Department for Works and Pensions you must get in touch with us too.
  • your rent changes

Note: these are just some examples.  Find out more about changes in your circumstances.

Need to tell us about a change in your income? Fill in the change of income form [pdf] and return this to us.

Need to give us updated income information but don't have wage slips?  Fill in the certificate of earnings form [pdf] and return this to us.