We're currently experiencing problems with our phone lines and some of our computer systems.

We're working hard to resolve this as quickly as possible, and apologise for any inconvenience. If you have an urgent issue, please call our contact centre on 01925 443322.

Contact us

Contaminated land

Like many other towns in the North West, Warrington has a history of industrial activity including coal mining, heavy engineering, foundries and landfills. This has meant that substances such as oils, metals and organic compounds have often remained in the ground.

Contaminated land strategy 

We're required by law to produce a written strategy on how we're going to carry out our contaminated land duties:

Public register

The register aims to provide a permanent record of land that is, or has been classed as a 'Special Site' and any actions taken or proposed to remediate contaminated land.

Please note that potentially contaminated land sites, sites under investigation and sites determined as contaminated land will not appear on the register unless further action is taken such as remediation.

Development on contaminated land

We recognise that a lot of potentially contaminated sites will be dealt with by redevelopment through the planning process. We're responsible for assessing planning applications and recommending whether a contaminated land condition is required. We then liaise with developers and their agents to ensure that they complete the relevant work.

Environmental search reports for contaminated land

You can obtain information about contamination for a specific area of land by ordering an Environmental Search Report. These reports can help with planning applications, land transfers and when buying or selling property.

The reports contain information about:

  • Potentially contaminative land uses
  • Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act (1990)
  • Documents that the Council hold on record

The fee for obtaining an environmental search report depends on the size of the area of land and how much information you need:

You can order an environmental search report either by emailing us or by completing our online form.

Report contaminated land

If you spot evidence of pollution or contamination on land or water you can report this by using the same online form.