Ordering a copy of a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate
You can buy copies of certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships which took place in Warrington since 1837.
We can't produce certificates for any events which took place outside of the Warrington borough, please contact the register office for that area.
- £10 per certificate, if the event took place more than a month ago
- £7 per certificate, if the event took place less than a month ago
- £4 for a death certificate after a Coroner’s Inquest (for three months after the date of registration)
- £25 per certificate for the priority service
Postage costs are extra where applicable.
Please note: From 16 February 2019, all copies of certificates will cost £11 each regardless of the date of the event. From 16 April 2019, the priority service will cost £35.
Order a certificate online
The easiest way to get a certified copy of a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate is to order online:
You can collect your certificate from Warrington Register Office, or we can post it out to you, in two working days.
Order using the priority service
A priority service is available if you order a certificate from Warrington Register Office. If you order before 3pm you can receive it on the same day.
We'll let you know a time to collect your certificate(s) when you place your order. The priority service costs £25 (£35 from 16 April 2019).
Order by post
You can write to us to request a certificate at: The Register Office, Museum Street, Warrington, WA1 1JX.
In your letter you'll need to include:
- the name(s) on the certificate
- the date of the event
- the location in Warrington where the event took place
- a cheque or postal order made payable to Warrington Borough Council
- a stamped, addressed envelope for us to send your certificate to you
Your certificate(s) will be posted within three working days after we receive your letter. When you receive your order will depend on whether you have provided us with a 1st or 2nd class return envelope.
Order in person
Visit Warrington Register Office to fill out an application form. You'll be able to collect your certificate from the office, or we can post it out to you (1st class), within three working days.
What information will I need to provide?
For birth certificates:
- full birth name of the person on the certificate
- their date and place of birth
- parents' names with mother’s maiden name (if known)
For death certificates:
- the deceased's full name
- their date and place of death
- age or date of birth
- their occupation (if known)
For marriage certificates:
- the date of marriage
- the place of marriage i.e. the name of the church, register office or other venue
- full names of both parties to the marriage at the time of their marriage
- any other names the parties had used prior to the marriage
For civil partnership certificates:
- the date of the civil partnership
- the place where the civil partnership took place i.e. the name of the church, register office or other venue
- full names of both partners at the time of their partnership
- any other names the parties had used prior to the partnership
For family history applications:
The minimum information we require is:
- the year in which the event took place
- the full name of the person(s) on the certificate.
You can search the Lancashire BMD indexes or Cheshire BMD indexes for this information, your local LiveWire library may be able to advise or assist you, or you can try national sites such as ancestry.co.uk or findmypast.co.uk.
Warrington Register Office can't research for you, we can't confirm information relating to family history research over the phone, and we can't produce a certificate which doesn't corroborate with the information you provide (in this case you'll be given a full refund of the certificate fee). To help us help you, it's useful if you provide any additional information you may know such as addresses, occupations, names of parents/spouses, etc. Without this information we cannot guarantee to be able to produce the certificate you need. Please note we can't offer refunds for certificates purchased without this additional information, which then turn out to be incorrect.