Ordering a copy of a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate
You can buy copies of certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships which took place in Warrington since 1837.
We can't produce certificates for any events which took place outside of the Warrington borough, please contact the register office for that area.
- Standard service £11.00 per certificate (including 2nd class postage sent within 5 working days)
- Priority service £35.00 per certificate (including optional 1st class postage sent the next working day)
Order a certificate online
The easiest way to get a certified copy of a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate is to order online:
Order using the priority service
A priority certificate ordering service is available at Warrington Register Office. You may apply online at www.warrington.gov.uk/certificates or in person at the register office. This service costs £35.00 per certificate. Your certificate will be posted 1st class the next working day, or if ordered in person can be collected from the register office the next working day
Order by post
You can write to us to request a certificate at: The Register Office, Museum Street, Warrington, WA1 1JX.
In your letter you'll need to include:
- the name(s) on the certificate
- the date of the event
- the location in Warrington where the event took place
- a cheque or postal order made payable to Warrington Borough Council
.Your certificate will be posted to you by 2nd class post within 5 working days. Please allow a further 3 – 5 working days to receive your certificate(s)
Order in person
Your certificate will be posted to you by 2nd class post within 5 working days. Please allow a further 3 – 5 working days to receive your certificate(s)
What information will I need to provide?
For birth certificates:
- full birth name of the person on the certificate
- their date and place of birth
- parents' names with mother’s maiden name (if known)
For death certificates:
- the deceased's full name
- their date and place of death
- age or date of birth
- their occupation (if known)
For marriage certificates:
- the date of marriage
- the place of marriage i.e. the name of the church, register office or other venue
- full names of both parties to the marriage at the time of their marriage
- any other names the parties had used prior to the marriage
For civil partnership certificates:
- the date of the civil partnership
- the place where the civil partnership took place i.e. the name of the church, register office or other venue
- full names of both partners at the time of their partnership
- any other names the parties had used prior to the partnership
For family history applications:
The minimum information we require is:
- the year in which the event took place
- the full name of the person(s) on the certificate.
You can search the Lancashire BMD indexes or Cheshire BMD indexes for this information, your local LiveWire library may be able to advise or assist you, or you can try national sites such as ancestry.co.uk or findmypast.co.uk.
Warrington Register Office can't research for you, we can't confirm information relating to family history research over the phone, and we can't produce a certificate which doesn't corroborate with the information you provide (in this case you'll be given a full refund of the certificate fee). To help us help you, it's useful if you provide any additional information you may know such as addresses, occupations, names of parents/spouses, etc. Without this information we cannot guarantee to be able to produce the certificate you need. Please note we can't offer refunds for certificates purchased without this additional information, which then turn out to be incorrect.