Transferring your child to another school

Please note that we are unable to process applications during the school holiday period. All applications received during this period will receive a response within 6 weeks of schools return.

In-year admissions

In-year admission applications are those requesting a transfer from one school to another outside of the normal admissions round, for example when a family moves house part way through a school year.

If your request for an in-year transfer is not because of an address change or move from abroad, you are strongly advised to think very carefully before you apply. Problems that your child may be having may not go away simply as a result of a change of school.

To apply for a transfer

All applicants should read either the primary in-year admissions information booklet for parents [pdf] or the secondary in-year information booklet for parents [pdf] before completing the application form.

You may also wish to visit the schools you are interested in. To do so please contact the schools direct to arrange a visit.

If you wish to apply for a place at a Warrington school you must complete the primary in-year application form [pdf] or secondary in-year application form [pdf]. Alternatively application forms are available in all Warrington schools.

The school admissions team aim to reply to all in-year transfer applications within 10 school days of receiving a fully completed application. It is not possible to take school holiday periods into account as school staff are not in school and therefore are unable to confirm or arrange any admissions.

Please note, the application is made up of seven sections. Sections 1 to 6 must be completed by the parent/carer. Section 7 needs to be completed by your child’s current school. It is important that all sections are completed as incomplete forms will not be accepted.

The following school deals with their own in-year admissions. To apply contact the school direct:

  • King’s Leadership Academy


You're not guaranteed a place at the school of your preference because all schools have limits to the number of children they can admit.

If the school is full in the year group where you would like a place for your child, your application will be refused, but you do have the right to appeal.

Children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If your child has an education, health and care plan you should contact the EHCP Assessment Team for advice on 01925 442917.

School admissions

Privacy notice

The council has a legal responsibility to protect the data it collects. For more information see the Council privacy policy page for the school admissions policy.