The Mayor's role and history
The robes, chains, mace and sword
The chains of office, and the borough mace, sword and other regalia is know as 'civic insignia'.
There are accepted rules for the wearing of robes and chains. The robe and chain are worn when receiving guests in the borough or when royalty is present at special and public functions connected with the council. On other occasions, only the chain is worn. When attending a function outside the borough, the robe and chain, or the chain only, may be worn.
Chains of office
The chain and badge of office of the Mayor was presented to the town by Lady Greenall on 5 September 1876, the year that Sir Gilbert Greenall was created Baronet, and during the mayoralty of SM Webster, Esq.
The chain is of gold and consists of sixteen shields connected by double gold links. Alternate shields bear the Royal Arms, and those of Lancashire and Cheshire.
The central badge on this chain bears the shield of the Right Hon. Gilbert Greenall, Baron Daresbury of Walton, and suspended from it is a large golden shield or badge bearing the Arms of the Borough in enamel. These arms were executed in 1976 following local government reorganisation, and replaced the arms of Paganus de Vilars (first Lord of Warrington) which had been on this badge since its donation.
This chain was presented by Lady Daresbury in 1911, to commemorate the Coronation of King George V. It is a fine gold chain with larger links in a flower design, and enamelled letters "W" set in throughout its length.
The badge is of gold filigree tracery, inset with small diamonds and rubies, and bearing an oval shaped Coat of Arms of the Borough in enamel as a centrepiece. This shield was changed in 1976, replacing one of the old County Borough Council.
The consort's chain
This chain was presented by Cllr Sheila Woodyatt MBE and Mr Neville Woodyatt, Mayor of Warrington and Consort in 2000-01.
The Deputy Mayor’s chain
The Co-operative Society Ltd presented this chain to the town in 1960 to celebrate the society’s centenary. It is of silver gilt and consists of some seventeen links and a rose-shaped centrepiece joined by double chains to a heart-shaped medallion bearing the Borough Arms in enamel.
The Deputy Mayoress's chain
This was given in 1968 by Messrs Tetley Walker Limited to mark the completion and opening of their new Warrington Brewery. It is a fine gold chain consisting of twenty-four pierced ovoid links joined by double fine links. The ovoid badge of fine gold bears the Borough Arms in enamel.
The borough mace and sword
The mace and sword along with a pair of rests were presented to the town on 19 June, 1897, by Mr Henry Thornton to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
The mace is of solid silver, gilded with 18 carat gold. The crown at the top exemplifies the idea of the authority of the mayor being derived from the sovereign. On the head of the mace are shields bearing the Royal Arms, the arms of Cheshire, Lancashire and the old County Borough of Warrington, as well as an enamelled head of Queen Victoria. The central knob is in the form of a globe which has four panels representing Warrington as a town of many industries. Each panel has in bas-relief the figures of two men at work, and the four industries represented are: Tanning, soapboiling, iron and wire making.
The civic sword has a richly decorated silver gild handle with quillons representing the lions taken from the Borough Arms. The blade is of steel with elaborate ornamental engraving which includes emblems representing Lancashire, Cheshire, the Boteler family, the Royal Arms, the Crest of the Borough, two old Arms of the Borough, and an inscription recording the name of the donor and the date of presentation. The scabbard is covered with rich, red velvet, and also amply ornamented with royal, county and borough emblems as well as the figures of justice and the fasces insignia of authority.
A permanent display of civic plate and regalia is housed at the town hall. The gallery is included in public tours of the town hall, which can be arranged through the mayor's office.