Consumer and business advice

Consumer advice

If you'd like advice regarding a consumer problem, please telephone Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 040506.

The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm and calls are charged at the local rate. Alternatively you can use their online consumer query form.

For more information on the types of consumer matters we deal with then please visit the Citizens Advice consumer service

Buying goods in Europe 

The UK European Consumer Centre (UK ECC) is here to provide you with advice and information when shopping within the Internal Market of Europe. If you're in a dispute with a company based in another European country, the UK ECC will be able to provide you with practical advice on your next steps and may even be able to contact the company on your behalf.

The UK ECC is part of the European Consumer Centre Network (ECC-Net), which is made up of 30 centres (one in each EU country plus Iceland and Norway). Our aim is to give you the same confidence when you are shopping within Europe as you do at home.

For free consumer advice call 01268 88690 or visit

Complain to an ombudsman 

An ombudsman is a person who investigates complaints about organisations for free. You can use an ombudsman to resolve a complaint without going to court.

There are different ombudsmen for different industries.

Use the Ombudsman Association to find the right ombudsman for your complaint.

Use Ombudsman Services to complain about:

  • retail and other sector complaints
  • communications (i.e. phones and internet)
  • energy (i.e. gas and electricity)
  • property (i.e. estate agents and surveyors)
  • copyright licensing

Money advice

You can get free, independent help from the Money Advice Service about anything to do with money, i.e. managing debt. 

Citizens advice have more advice on taking a small claim to court.

Public Weighbridge

There are currently no public weighbridges in Warrington.

Business advice

We aim to support businesses in Warrington by providing expert and impartial advice. As with Consumer Advice, the point of contact is the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 040506 and if further advice is required they will pass your details on to us. Before making this call we would recommend that you take advantage of online resources


Business Companion is a very useful source of information for traders and has been set up in conjunction with the Chartered Institute of Trading Standards. This website enables you to create a tailor-made information pack depending on your business type. 

Primary Authority

Primary Authority offers businesses the opportunity to form a legally recognised partnership with one local authority, which then provides robust and reliable advice for other councils to take into account when carrying out inspections or dealing with non-compliance. If you wish to enquire about Primary Authority then please email the service.