Complaints procedure

Complaints are important to us as they allow us to learn from our mistakes and put things right when they have gone wrong. We're committed to dealing with complaints in a fair and impartial way.

First time requests

We won't class an issue as a complaint if you've never told us about it before, instead we'll treat this as a first time service request.

If you're unhappy about a service we provide, please talk to us about it, often we can fix a small issue before it becomes more serious. 

If you need to notify us of an issue for the first time please complete one of our online forms.

How to complain

If you're still unhappy with the service then you can make a formal complaint, you can do this by:

  • Using the online complaints form
  • Emailing us at
  • Phone us on: 01925 443322
  • Write to us at: Contact Warrington, PO Box 5, New Town House, Warrington WA1 2NH
  • Visit us at: Contact Warrington, 26-30, Horsemarket Street, Warrington WA1 1XL

Please include your contact details, so that we can reply to you, and also tell us what you would like the council to do as a result of your complaint.

Complaints can be withdrawn at any time, by email, letter, in person or by someone acting for you.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is defined as "dissatisfaction about a specific service or services provided by the council, or services provided by another agency on the council’s behalf".

Valid complaints about the council services include:

  • Failure to provide a suitable standard or level of service
  • Failure to follow the council’s policies, rules or procedures
  • Failure to consider all relevant information when coming to a decision
  • Delay or failure to respond to a request for service or an enquiry
  • Attitude or behaviour of staff
  • Bias, discrimination or harassment  

Download a copy of the council's complaint policy for more information.

To contact your local councillor

For contact details of your local councillor, please visit our councillors section.  Alternatively you can contact the members' secretaries on 01925 442141 / 442142 / 442139.

Complaints about councillors

Complaints about the behaviour of individual councillors are dealt with under a separate procedure.  The council's standards committee is responsible for complaints that a councillor or a parish councillor has breached the Code of Conduct.