Senior railcards

You can choose to have EITHER a senior railcard OR an older person's bus pass.

If you apply for a railcard, the card offers you discounted rail travel, not free travel. Please note that time and train restrictions may apply; not every ticket type is available for every journey you may wish to take. To avoid confusion, please check before booking.

When a railcard expires, you can apply for a bus pass as an alternative to obtaining a new rail card. We cannot issue a bus pass if you have a valid railcard.

When will I be eligible? 

In England you can get a railcard when you reach the female state pension age, whether you’re a man or a woman. If you were born on or before 5 October 1953 you can apply for your railcard.

You can check the date you'll be eligible for a bus pass via GOV.UK or by referring to the state pension eligibility timetable [pdf].

If you qualify you'll be issued with a code which will enable you to order your railcard. You won't be asked to pay £30 if you've been issued with a code from us.

How to apply

With your application you must provide proof of address and proof of identity.

Once we’ve issued the rail code to you, you can apply online for a senior railcard. You'll need an email address to enable you to do this, if you don’t have an email address, please call 0345 3000 250 and the National Rail Railcard customer service team will help you complete your application.

Lost or stolen railcards

If your railcard is lost or stolen, you can apply for a replacement online on the National Rail website or call 0345 3000 250 and report the railcard as lost or stolen. The fee for a replacement is £10.00 payable to National Rail.  Stolen railcards are replaced free of charge if a police crime reference number is provided.