Bus passes

Bus passes for older people

You can choose to have EITHER an older person's bus pass OR a senior railcard.

When will I be eligible? 

In England you can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female state pension age, whether you’re a man or a woman. If you were born on or before 5 October 1953 you can apply for your bus pass. 

You can check the date you'll be eligible for a bus pass via GOV.UK or by referring to the state pension eligibility timetable [pdf].

Bus passes are issued free of charge and valid for 5 years. When we've received your completed application form and all supporting information, your pass will be posted to your home address within 14 days.

When can I travel for free?

When boarding in Cheshire West and Chester, Halton and Warrington:

  • Monday - Friday after 9.30am – last bus: Free
  • Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays: Free 

The same concessions apply to Dial-a-Ride and journeys on bus services travelling into Wales providing the journey starts in England.

On bus journeys in the rest of England:

  • Monday - Friday between 9.30am – 11pm: Free
  • Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday: Free

Unless stated otherwise full fare applies at all other times. 

Bus Passes issued by Warrington Borough Council aren't valid for use on trains, trams, underground services, tours/excursions, sightseeing buses or National Express coaches.

How do I apply?

With your application you must provide proof of address, proof of identity and a new passport style photograph (which must be no more than one month old).  Alternatively, we can take a photograph of you if you apply in person at Contact Warrington for just £4.

How do I renew my bus pass? 

You'll receive a letter approximately six weeks before the expiry date of your pass. Please renew your pass online unless your details have changed since your last pass was issued. If your details have changed, please contact us

Lost passes

There's a £10 fee for a replacement bus pass. If you need a replacement you will need to contact us to arrange a replacement.

Refunds can't be given if you find your old pass before you receive your new one. Found passes should be returned to the council for secure disposal. 

Damaged passes

If the pass is damaged, a £10 fee must be paid before a replacement can be issued. 

If your pass does not scan, please bring your pass to Contact Warrington for inspection. If there's no apparent damage to the card then we'll replace it free of charge. 

Stolen passes

Stolen passes will be replaced free of charge if you can provide a copy of the police crime letter. It can be emailed to bluebadge@warrington.gov.uk or you can provide it in person at Contact Warrington.

We don't accept compliment slips issued by the police or police crime reference numbers over the telephone. Found passes should be returned to us for secure disposal. 

Moving in or out of Warrington

Bus passes issued by other councils should be returned to them when moving into Warrington. If you're moving out of Warrington please return your pass to Contact Warrington