Bus passes

Bus passes for disabled people

Do I automatically qualify for a disabled person’s bus pass?

If you fall into one of the categories listed below you may be issued with a disabled bus pass without further assessment:

  • registered blind (severely sight impaired) or partially sighted
  • receives the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (must be dated within the last 12 months)
  • score 8 points or more of the “moving around” and/or “communicating verbally” activities of the Personal Independent Payment (must be dated within the last 12 months)
  • receives a war pensioner's mobility supplement; or
  • has been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking;
  • person of fare paying age who has been issued with a disabled persons Blue Badge.

If you're required to supply evidence of your disability benefit and need a letter dated within the last 12 months, please contact the disability benefits helpline.

If you don't automatically qualify for a bus pass:

If you fall into one of the categories listed below you may be issued with a disabled bus pass after further assessment:

  • profoundly or severely deaf
  • without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • does not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • has a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • would, if applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have the application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

When can I travel for free?

When boarding in Cheshire West and Chester, Halton and Warrington:

  • Monday - Friday after 9.30am – last bus: Free
  • Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays: Free 

The same concessions apply to Dial-a-Ride and journeys on bus services travelling into Wales providing the journey starts in England.

On bus journeys in the rest of England:

  • Monday - Friday between 9.30am – 11pm: Free
  • Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday: Free

Unless stated otherwise full fare applies at all other times. 

Bus Passes issued by Warrington Borough Council aren't valid for use on trains, trams, underground services, tours/excursions, sightseeing buses or National Express coaches.

How do I apply for a disabled persons bus pass?

With your application you must provide:

  • proof of address, proof of identity and a new passport style photograph (which must be no more than one month old).  Alternatively, we can take a photograph of you if you apply in person at Contact Warrington for just £4.
  • proof of disability - acceptable forms of evidence are detailed on the application form.

As part of the application process, we may ask you attend a face to face mobility assessment to determine whether you meet the eligibility criteria.

Bus passes are issued free of charge and valid for up to a maximum of 5 years dependent on the category you apply under.  If you wish to reapply, please do so before the expiry date of your current bus pass by following the same application process, described above. 

Lost passes

There's a £10 fee for a replacement bus pass. If you need a replacement you will need to contact us to arrange a replacement.

Refunds can't be given if you find your old pass before you receive your new one. Found passes should be returned to the council for secure disposal. 

Damaged passes

If the pass is damaged, a £10 fee must be paid before a replacement can be issued. 

If your pass does not scan, please bring your pass to Contact Warrington for inspection. If there's no apparent damage to the card then we'll replace it free of charge. 

Stolen passes

Stolen passes will be replaced free of charge if you can provide a copy of the police crime letter. It can be emailed to bluebadge@warrington.gov.uk or you can provide it in person at Contact Warrington.

We don't accept compliment slips issued by the police or police crime reference numbers over the telephone. Found passes should be returned to us for secure disposal. 

Moving in or out of Warrington

Bus passes issued by other councils should be returned to them when moving into Warrington. If you're moving out of Warrington please return your pass to Contact Warrington