Warrington East - Phases 2 and 3
Road Closed – A574 Birchwood Way, Moss Gate / Daten Avenue to M62 junction 11.
Birchwood Way will be closed in both directions overnight on Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 February from 8pm to 5am the following morning. There'll be no access to or from the M62 junction 11 from Birchwood Way. Diversion routes will be in place, with traffic diverted via the M62, M6 junction 21, Woolston Grange Avenue and vice versa. Diversion signs will be in place, and the closure will be signed on the M62 and in advance in the Birchwood area. More information in the Warrington East Phase 3 section below.
Here's a summary of work in progress during the next few weeks from 18 February.
Warrington East Phase 2
Work will commence at the junction of Crab Lane / Fearnhead Lane on Monday 18 February, with temporary traffic lights in use off-peak.
- Woolston Grange Avenue – new kerbs in the centre reservation at College Place
- Drain clearance work near Olympic Park / Harpers Road roundabout (w/c 25 Feb)
Crab Lane / Fearnhead Lane Junction
- Construction of footway / cycleway near Nook Lane
- Installation of traffic signal ducts for the new Toucan crossing
George Duckworth Island and Oakwood Gate
- Installation of traffic signal cable ducts on the dogbone island
Traffic Management in operation
- Narrow lanes westbound over the M6 bridge on approach to the junction, with one lane closed at off-peak times (0930 – 1600)
- Off-peak lane closures on the roundabout and approaches (0930 - 1600)
- Narrow lane on the Crab Lane exit from College Place towards Fearnhead Lane
Crab Lane / Fearnhead Lane Junction
- Lane closures with temporary 3-way traffic lights at the junction, with manual control (0930 – 1530)
George Duckworth Island
- Off-peak lane closures (0930 – 1600) on George Duckworth Island and the approaches from Oakwood Gate (northbound), Birchwood Park Avenue (southbound) and on Birchwood Way westbound on both sides of the junction.
- Narrow lanes on Birchwood Way westbound from Oakwood Gate.
Warrington East Phase 3
- Construction of site access points from Birchwood Way near the footbridge and at Moss Gate junction
- Earthworks for the new carriageway – topsoil strip
Traffic Management in operation
- Nearside lane closure for site exit approaching the Moss Gate junction (off-peak),
- Temporary traffic signals and a lane closure will be in place on Birchwood Way near the footbridge to allow the site accesses to be made. These will be off-peak (Monday to Friday 0930-1530) with manual control
- Layby near M62 junction 11 closed
A temporary concrete barrier will be installed along the south side of Birchwood Way overnight on Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 February with the full road closure of Birchwood Way on these nights from 8pm to 5am the following morning. There'll be no access to or from the M62 junction 11 from Birchwood Way. Diversion routes will be in place, with traffic diverted via the M62, M6 junction 21, Woolston Grange Avenue and vice versa. Diversion signs will be in place, and the closure will be signed on the M62 and in advance in the Birchwood area.
If you require additional information or would like to receive consultation and traffic management updates by email, please email us.
Background on phase 2
The Warrington East phase 2 project is designed to improve overall traffic flow along the A574 Birchwood Way, reducing congestion, improving road safety and general accessibility for cyclists and pedestrians. The project follows the success of the Birchwood Pinchpoint (Phase 1) and is funded from the Cheshire and Warrington Growth Deal and our own Capital Investment Programme.
The project will see junction improvements on Birchwood Way at College Place, Oakwood Gate and Blackbrook Avenue. The improvement at Blackbrook Avenue was completed in November 2018.
Construction of Phase 2 started in July 2018 with the project due to be completed in December 2019 (except for landscaping, which will follow in Spring 2020). The principal contractor is Balfour Beatty Civils Limited.
- Plan of Blackbrook Avenue scheme [pdf]
- Plan of College Place scheme [pdf]
- Plan of Oakwood Gate scheme [pdf]
- Birchwood Way diversion route - August to December 2018 [pdf]
Background on phase 3
The Warrington East phase 3 project will make the section of Birchwood Way from the Daten Avenue / Moss Gate junction to the M62 junction 11 into a dual carriageway. A new carriageway for traffic travelling towards Warrington will be constructed to the south of the existing carriageway with the existing carriageway carrying traffic towards the M62. There will be two lanes on each carriageway.
The aim of this project is to provide additional traffic capacity whilst reducing congestion in and out of Birchwood. This is the last stage in the series of improvements to Birchwood Way that were started in 2015 (Birchwood Pinch Points project) and more recently the Warrington East phase 2 project that is now under construction. These projects will support access to new employment proposals in east Warrington whilst supporting existing jobs especially in the Birchwood Enterprise Zone.
A stakeholder engagement for the scheme was carried out in May 2018 with feedback illustrating extensive support for the scheme.
As part of the scheme the motorway roundabout at Junction 11 will be resurfaced with new road markings to improve capacity and safety. The existing vegetation on the south side of Birchwood Way will be removed to make space for the new carriageway and the vegetation on the north side will be trimmed back. Ecology surveys have been carried out work to protect Great Crested Newts in the area has been successfully completed. There will be a landscaping scheme for the south side of the road to blend into the remaining woodland. This road is an important gateway to Warrington and the landscaping scheme has been designed to enhance its appearance.
Construction of the scheme started in December 2018, with the main construction work starting in January 2019 and lasting about 12 months before it's fully complete. The construction of the project will be run parallel with the Warrington East Phase 2 scheme that's currently being built between Blackbrook Avenue and Oakwood Gate with the same contractor, Balfour Beatty, building the Phase 3 scheme. This approach will provide cost savings benefits and minimise the overall duration of traffic disruption in the area.
Two-way traffic will be maintained on Birchwood Way while the new carriageway is being built, with work taking place behind a safety barrier. There will be some off-peak lane restrictions at the end of the scheme where the new carriageway joins the existing one. We'll also need to undertake some night time road closures for necessary resurfacing works, however we'll coordinated these with the M62 Managed Motorway scheme.
The cost of the scheme is approximately £9.4M and is being funded by:
- National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF) (£4M)
- Funding transfer from Warrington East Phase 2 (£2.646M)
- Warrington BC capital borrowing (£2.75M)
If you require additional information or would like to be added to the email mailing list to receive consultation and traffic management updates, please email us.