Warrington East - Phase 2
Birchwood Way partial closure, from 1 August
Birchwood Way is closed to westbound traffic from College Place to Blackbrook Avenue, with traffic diverted along Crab Lane, Enfield Park Road and Blackbrook Avenue.
View the Birchwood Way diversion route [pdf]. An alternative route is also available via Woolston Grange Avenue and Manchester Road towards the town centre. Birchwood Way towards Birchwood remains open in one direction. This closure and diversion will be in place until mid-December.
Work in progress
- Installation of drainage on the North West quadrant of College Place (near Crab Lane).
- Construction of the additional offside lane on the approach from Birchwood.
- Completion of gas main diversion work to the east of College Place.
- Site clearance and excavation in the verge on the south west quadrant.
- Diversion of telecommunications ducts and cables on the south west quadrant.
George Duckworth Island (Oakwood Gate)
- Installation of ducts, kerbs and drainage gullies on the westbound approach from Faraday Street.
- Diversion of telecommunications ducts on the south west corner of the junction and along Birchwood Way westbound.
- Excavation of the existing embankment for the new left turn slip lane.
Birchwood Way east of Oakwood Gate
- Installation of temporary concrete barriers on the south side of Birchwood Way from Oakwood Gate to Roberts Fold Subway (13 August from 8pm to midnight).
- Site clearance and excavation.
- Construction of the embankment widening on the north side of Birchwood Way.
Traffic Management in operation
A 30mph speed limit is in operation on all sections of the project where the 30mph signs are displayed.
- College Place - Narrow lanes westbound over the M6 bridge on approach to the junction with one lane closed at off peak times (9.30am - 4.00pm). The westbound exit onto Birchwood Way is closed, with traffic diverted (see above).
- George Duckworth Island - Off-peak lane closures (9.30am – 4.00pm) on George Duckworth Island and Birchwood Park Avenue (southbound) towards Birchwood Centre and on Birchwood Way westbound on both sides of the junction. Narrow lanes on Birchwood Way westbound from Oakwood Gate. Evening lane closure on 13 August from 8pm.
- Birchwood Way (College Place to Blackbrook Avenue) - road closed westbound from 1 August until mid-December. One way traffic eastbound from Blackbrook Avenue towards College Place, one lane only.
- Plan of Blackbrook Avenue scheme [pdf]
- Plan of College Place scheme [pdf]
- Plan of Oakwood Gate scheme [pdf]
- Birchwood Way diversion route - August to December 2018 [pdf]
The Warrington East phase 2 project is designed to improve overall traffic flow along the A574 Birchwood Way, reducing congestion, improving road safety and general accessibility for cyclists and pedestrians. The project follows the success of the Birchwood Pinchpoint (Phase 1), and is funded from the Cheshire and Warrington Growth Deal and our own Capital Investment Programme.
Final approval for the project was given at the April Executive Board Committee together with the appointment of Balfour Beatty as the principal contractor.
If you require additional information or would like to be added to the email mailing list to receive consultation and traffic management updates, please email us.