Revised hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy
We adopted our first hackney carriage/private hire licensing policy on 8 December 2014 and amended the policy on 17 October 2016.
In summary the 2016 amendments were to:
- Provide an approved list of training providers for the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
- A revision to the vehicle specifications and testing policy.
- To introduce a timeline for temporary licensed vehicles and remove the requirement for CCTV in temporary licensed vehicles.
The main purpose of the policy is to promote the following objectives:
- The protection of public health and safety
- Ensuring that hackney carriage and private hire vehicles are mechanically safe, clean and reliable
- The preservation of a professional and responsible hackney carriage and private hire trade
- Protection of the environment
- To encourage high standards of service and competence in the local hackney carriage and private hire trade
- Ensuring that drivers, proprietors and private hire operators are ‘fit and proper’ persons
- To provide clarity to all relevant parties with respect to our expectations of license holders and applicants and the decision making process
- The aim of the licensing process, in this context, is to regulate the hackney carriage and private hire trade in order to promote the above objectives
As it's important that our policies are kept under review the Licensing Committee gave approval to consult on a third revised draft policy on the 19 February 2018. We're now consulting on the draft policy and would like you to give us your feedback by completing our online consultation.
All consultation responses must be received by Monday 30 April 2018.
We advise that you read the following two documents and keep them open on your desktop whilst answering the questions:
- Some questions ask you to click on a circle to select your answer or click in a box and type in your answer.
- At the end of the questionnaire there is an opportunity to add further comments about the draft hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy.
- You can upload documents to support your responses (online only).
- The final questions ask a bit ‘About You’.
- If there's any questions that you'd rather not answer, please feel free to leave them blank.
To ask for a paper copy of the survey or if you have any concerns or questions about the survey, require the questionnaire in another language or format including large print, Braille, audio or British Sign Language or simply require assistance in completing it please call 0192544 2517 or contact us via e-mail.
Your responses will be confidential and the survey process complies with the Data Protection Act 1998.