Omega Local Highways phase 2
THE WARRINGTON BOROUGH COUNCIL (A57 LIVERPOOL ROAD/LINGLEY GREEN AVENUE – JUNCTION IMPROVEMENTS)) COMPULSORY PURCHASE ORDER 2019
On 7 January 2019, Warrington Borough Council formally made The Warrington Borough Council (A57 Liverpool Road/Lingley Green Avenue – Junction Improvements) Compulsory Purchase Order 2019 under Sections 239, 240, 246, 250 and 260 of the Highways Act 1980 (as amended) and Section 19 and Schedule 3 to the Acquisition of Land Act 1981. The Order is being submitted to the Secretary of State for Transport for confirmation and, if confirmed, the Order will authorise the Council to compulsorily purchase land and new rights for the purpose of:
- Localised widening of the A5280 Lingley Green Avenue (Southbound) for a distance of 100m to form separate left and right turn lanes at the stopline;
- Localised widening of the A57 Liverpool Road (eastbound) for a distance of 80m to form separate left and ahead lanes at the stopline;
- Upgrade of existing pedestrian crossing on Lingley Green Avenue to a toucan crossing (suitable for both pedestrians and cyclists);
- Relocation and upgrade of the existing pedestrian crossing to a toucan crossing on Liverpool Road to the east of Lingley Green Avenue;
- Retention of existing advanced stoplines for cyclists; and
- Provision of additional dropped kerbs to facilitate use of toucan crossings for cyclists.
The land included within the Order can be seen on the Order Map, and the Schedule to the compulsory purchase order includes details of all parties with a land interest. All parties who will be impacted directly by the acquisition of land and/or new interests over land have been served with notices, and notices have also been erected on site and are being placed in the Warrington Guardian on 17 and 24 January 2019. Copies of the relevant documents are available for inspection up to and including 8 February 2019. During this period, anyone wishing to make an objection to the compulsory purchase can do so.
Currently the junction of the A57 Liverpool Road and Lingley Green Avenue experiences peak hour congestion which can result in significant queues, impacting on the operation of the west Warrington highway network. Without improvement, congestion is predicted to increase as traffic growth in the area continues.
The proposed junction improvements aim to:
- Reduce journey times and queues
- Improve the transport network to support planned growth in the area
The proposals [pdf] include the widening of Lingley Green Avenue (southbound) and Liverpool Road (eastbound) in the vicinity of the junction to create additional road capacity. Existing crossing facilities on Lingley Green Avenue and Liverpool Road will be upgraded to pedestrian/cycle (toucan) crossings.
We anticipate construction to commence in Autumn 2019 and take approximately 7 months.
These works will cost approximately £2 million, of which we've contributed half, with the remaining funds having been provided by the Department of Transport via a successful National Productivity Investment Funding bid.
Public consultation on the scheme was held between 19 February and 16 March 2018. The consultation report [pdf] provides details of the consultation methodology and a summary of all responses received.
If you require any additional information or would like to be added to our mailing list to receive consultation and traffic management updates for major highway schemes within the west Warrington area, please email us.