Walton old riding school
The long abandoned riding school space at Walton Hall and Gardens has finally been brought back to life. The building, unknown to many, is tucked away behind the heritage courtyard at Walton Hall, beside the canal. The building was constructed in the latter part of the 19th century and consisted of stables and equestrian training facilities. After the sale of the Walton Estate to Warrington Council in 1938, the building was used during the second World War to house ancillary fire engines, while troops were billeted in the stables.
After the war, the building was used for storage by estate workers up until very recently. Over time trees along the canal have grown and damaged the roof, making the building unsafe for use. In winter 2017 we return the building to full use creating as a multi-purpose events space in order to benefit the Walton Estate business, allowing the public to use and enjoy as part of the wider estate.
Since opening the riding school has been home to various events, including Artisan markets, winter wonderland and cinema events.
If you'd like to enquire about hiring the old riding school for an event then please email the Walton estate office.