Celebrating those who care
A range of events are being held in Warrington to reach out to carers across the borough, offer advice and support and recognise the huge contributions they make.
Carers Week 2017 takes place from 12-18 June, an annual, national campaign celebrating the difference carers make to families and communities, while recognising that they are individuals with needs of their own.
Warrington Borough Council and Warrington Clinical Commissioning Group, in partnership with Wired Adults and Young Carers’ Service, is celebrating the week with a schedule of activities during the week.
Top of the bill is the Carers Celebration Event, which takes place at two venues - The Gateway, 89 Sankey Street, and the Carers Centre, 86 Sankey Street - on Wednesday 14 June.
• The day gets under way at 10am in the main hall at The Gateway, with a presentation of the new Warrington Carers Strategy. After that, there will be plenty going on at The Gateway throughout the day, including crafts, card making, a quiz and a variety of stalls, providing useful information about services and support available for carers.
• Meanwhile, there’s an open house at The Carers Centre, where visitors can enjoy mindful relaxation and therapy sessions from 11.30am, before an afternoon of live ukulele music, a DJ session and even a BBQ on the terrace. The event ends at 6pm.
Cllr Pat Wright, executive board member for statutory health and adult social care, said: “Warrington’s carers play such a valuable role in our borough and Carer’s Week gives us the perfect opportunity to thank them.
“These events are a great way of raising awareness about the challenges carers face on a daily basis, letting them know their efforts are appreciated and connecting them with the range of support available to them.
“I’m really looking forward to joining our carers and those they care for at these fantastic events which will be a lot of fun, as well as providing carers with help, advice and opportunities to reduce stress.”
In addition to the events at The Gateway and The Carers Centre, Warrington will be holding further Celebration Events at its Outreach venues, in Lymm on Tuesday 13 June and in Fearnhead on Thursday 15 June. The week culminates on Friday 16 June with a carers lunch at The Carers Centre.
For further information, a full programme of events, or to book a place at any of the week’s events, please call 01925 633492 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• WIRED Adults and Young Carers Centre offers a range of services for adult and young carers including drop-in sessions, free counselling, therapy sessions, a newsletter, information and a range of social events people can get involved in.
• WIRED is funded by Warrington Borough Council and Warrington CCG
• Carers can find further information and support on the Warrington Wired website HERE
• For more information about Carers Week, visit www.carersweek.org