Take care when out and about during the severe weather
The Met Office has issued a yellow warning for the North West. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable residents and disrupt the delivery of services.
Warrington Borough Council is reminding residents to look out for vulnerable people and take care when out and about during the severe weather
Severe cold weather can be dangerous, especially for the very young, older people or those with serious medical conditions.
The council’s top tips to prepare for colder weather:
• Keep warm and healthy by keeping rooms heated to at least 18C
• Don’t put off getting the flu vaccination. If you’re eligible get it now. It’s free because you need it!
• Look out for friends, relatives and neighbours who may be vulnerable to the cold
• Stay tuned to the weather forecast and plan ahead with supplies – only travel if essential
• If you meet the criteria, register for priority service with your energy and water suppliers
• Draw your curtains at dusk to help keep heat generated inside your rooms
• Food is a vital source of energy and helps keep your body warm so have plenty of hot food and drinks
• Aim to include five portions of fruit and vegetables each day – tinned and frozen count towards this
• Exercise is good for you all year round and can keep you warm in winter
• Get financial support to make your home more energy efficient, improve your heating or help with bills
• Have your heating and cooking appliances checked regularly
• Insulate your hot water cylinder and pipes
• Wear a few layers of thin clothing rather than one thick layer
• Wear shoes with slip resistant, good grip soles
Advice on how to reduce the risk either for yourself or somebody you know can be obtained from cold weather warning pages at www.nhs.uk or from your local pharmacy. If you’re worried about your health or that of somebody you know, ring NHS 111.
Any disruption to council services including bin collections, school/road closures will be posted on the council website at www.warrington.gov.uk/winter
You can find health and wellbeing advice on the Public Health England website at www.gov.uk/phe/keep-warm
Keep an eye on weather reports at www.metoffice.gov.uk
Find out more information about Winter Fuel Payments and Cold Weather Payments.