Online forms: Noise complaint
To report noise complaints you must provide your contact details.
The majority of cases are resolved informally, however, if the case did require legal action, we must be satisfied that a statutory nuisance exists and that evidence (suitable for a Court) has been gathered to support the case. Complaints are confidential although we can't prevent the source from making guesses about the identity of the complainant.
If a case proceeds to prosecution then you'd be required to support the case with a witness statement and most probably you'll be required to give evidence in court.
Without providing your details we're unable to access legal powers that allow us to investigate.
If you don't want to tell us your contact details else can you do?
You may wish to write to the person causing you a problem as in most cases they will be unaware that they're causing an issue. You could use one of our templates to assist you:
If you wish to proceed with our form you'll need to tell us:
- What kind of noise it is – e.g. loud music, dogs barking, building work, alarm
- Where the noise is coming from
- As much information about the noise as possible, including when it first started, how often it occurs, what time of day it usually happens, etc
- Whether you have taken any action already, i.e. spoken to the person you believe is making the noise
- Your name, address and contact details so that we can get in touch with you if we need more information (your name and details will be kept in strictest confidence, we will never tell the person you are complaining about)