Please note we cannot be held liable for any certificates delayed, lost or damaged in the post.
Order a copy of a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate
You can buy copies of certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships which took place in Warrington since 1837.
Our ‘standard’ service
You can order online or by post. We’ll process your order within five working days, then send the certificate to you by second class post.
It costs £11 for each certificate.
Our ‘priority’ service
You can order online and we’ll send the certificate out the same day, or next working day, by first class post. First class post takes 1 – 2 business days for delivery.
It costs £35 for each certificate.
Just married in church / religious premises?
Please do not use the priority service to order your marriage certificate, if your church / religious wedding has only just taken place and this is your first order. Please choose the standard service at checkout as you will automatically receive a priority service without the additional charge as soon as your marriage has been registered.
The easiest way is to order online. You can choose either our standard or priority service.
Order by post
Write to us at The Register Office, Warrington Borough Council, Town Hall, Sankey Street, Warrington, WA1 1UH
Make sure you include:
- all of the information about the certificate – check the lists below
- a cheque or postal order for the right amount, payable to ‘Warrington Borough Council’
- your return address
If these aren’t provided, we won’t be able to process your request. If you order by post you can only use our standard service.
For birth certificates
- full birth name of the person on the certificate
- their date and place of birth
- parents' names with mother’s maiden name (if known)
For death certificates
- the deceased's full name
- their date and place of death
- age or date of birth
- their occupation (if known)
For marriage certificates
- the date of marriage
- the place of marriage – such as the name of the church, register office or other venue
- full names of the married couple at the time of their marriage
- any other names the parties had used prior to the marriage
For civil partnership certificates
- the date of the civil partnership
- the place where the civil partnership took place – such as the name of the church, register office or other venue
- full names of both partners at the time of their partnership
- any other names the parties had used prior to the partnership
If you’re looking for a certificate as part of your family history research you may not have all of the information about the birth, death or marriage. To find a certificate, you’ll at least need to know the year that it happened, and the name of the person or couple.
If you don’t have this information, you could try tracking down some more details from:
- Warrington libraries and archives
- Cheshire Record Office
- Cheshire archives and local studies
- Warrington Family History Group
- Lancashire BMD indexes
- Cheshire BMD indexes
We can’t do this research for you. We also can't confirm information relating to family history research over the phone.
It’s really important that you give us as much accurate information as possible. Extra details such as addresses, occupations, names of parents/spouses are really useful to help us find the right certificate.
If we can't produce a certificate which doesn't corroborate with the information you provide, we’ll give you a full refund.
We can't give you a refund if we produce a certificate which corroborates with the information you provided, but is actually not the one you were looking for. This is why we need as much accurate detail as possible.