Scheduled Maintenance: My Warrington (my.warrington.gov.uk) may be unavailable for a short time on 29 February 2020, between 11am to 12pm for scheduled maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Paying your council tax
In March every year, we send a council tax bill to every household in Warrington for the next financial year. Your bill shows the amount of council tax you need to pay, and when your payments are due.
You can pay your Council tax by direct debit, debit or credit card, standing order or bank transfer, cash, Allpay or PayPoint or by cheque. Direct debit is the easiest way to pay, it saves you time and it saves us money.
If you already pay by direct debit
If you paid your council tax by direct debit last year, you don’t need to set up a new one unless your bank details have changed. Your payments will be taken automatically, on the dates shown on your bill.
Set up a new direct debit
You will need to set up a new direct debit if:
- someone has moved in or out of your property and you’ve been given a new council tax account number
- you’ve changed your bank details
- you’ve had to cancel your previous direct debit for any reason
- you’ve previously paid your council tax using a different method
You’ll need to quote council tax account number.
Direct debit instalments
You will usually pay in 10 monthly instalments, from April to January.
If you move home part way through the year, your payments will usually be spread out over the remaining months of the financial year.
Or you can pay:
- in 12 monthly instalments
- in two six-month instalments
- in one instalment, paying for the whole year in one go
If you want to choose one of these options you must contact us before 15 April, and we must receive your first payment by the date shown on your bill.
Direct debit payment dates
You can choose to pay on either the 5th, 10th, 20th or 30th of the month.
Change your bank details
If you already have a direct debit set up and you change your bank details, you’ll need to set up a new direct debit.
You can pay by card online or over the phone. You must be using a secure, up-to-date web browser to pay online.
To pay by phone, the minimum payment is £2 and make sure you have your council tax account number.
- Automated phone line: 0300 456 0530 – this is open 24/7 and calls are charged at your normal rate
- Speak to one of our advisers: 01925 443210 – we are open between 8.30am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
To pay by standing order you need to complete a form at your bank or building society, or use online banking to set up regular payments.
Our bank account number is 03383385 and our sort code is 01-09-17.
Remember that you will need to:
- quote your council tax account number
- allow extra days for the payment to go through your bank’s clearing system
- change the amount of your standing order if your council tax changes
- amend your standing order after your final payment, and remember to restart it for the next financial year
Make sure you quote your council tax account number (the first 9 digits).
Our bank account number is 03383385 and our sort code is 01-09-17. If you need it, the IBAN number is GB28 NWBK 0109 1703 3833 85 and the BIC code is NWBK GB 2L.
You can pay in cash if you take your barcoded bill to the Post Office or PayPoint store.
You can pay at any PayPoint store. You’ll need to take your council tax bill with you so the barcode can be scanned.
Allpay is a swipe card which lets you make payments at PayPoint stores and Post Offices. Please contact us and we can arrange for a card to be sent to you.
Make your cheque payable to 'Warrington Borough Council' and cross A/C payee.
Write your council tax account number on the back. We can't accept post-dated cheques.
- bring it to Contact Warrington
- post it to Contact Warrington, New Town House, Buttermarket Street, WA1 2NH
- take it to your bank and ask for it to be credited to 01-09-17 03383385
- You can also pay by cheque at a Post Office, but make your cheque payable to "Post Office Ltd" and cross "A/C Payee". Please take your barcoded bill with you.