If you store, sell, distribute or prepare food you must register with us.

Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all the food business premises in our area so that we can visit them when we need to. The number of times we visit will depend on the type of business.

You will need to make a new application if you need to transfer or change your licence.

Before applying

If you are planning to open a food business there are a few things you need to bear in mind. 

It's best if you have some catering experience or qualifications, and have a documented food safety management system. 

You should also consider:

  • facilities for cleaning food equipment and hands
  • storage space, including refrigeration
  • bins and wastes arrangements
  • staff facilities
  • ventilation
  • drainage

After we receive your application

We will process your application as soon as possible.


You can appeal if:

  • you're refused a licence
  • you're a licence holder and are unhappy with a condition attached to your licence
  • you're unhappy with the decision of a licence review and the withdrawing of a certificate


If a member of the public has a complaint about your licence, we always advise for that person to contact your directly, preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If that has not worked, we advise the person to contact the Citizens Advice Guide, or the UK European Consumer Centre if they’re outside the UK.

Further support

The legal stuff

Food hygiene concerns