Local Authority Small Business Discretionary Grant - Coronavirus update
The Government is making additional funding available to allow us to further support Small Business. This money is in addition to the Small Business Grants Funds and the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grants Fund announced last month.
Applications for Grants from this Fund, are likely to close on 30 June 2020
Grants awarded by Warrington Borough Council from this Fund, will be capped at £10,000.
In order for your business to qualify for the grant, you must provide evidence that you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Businesses with relatively high ongoing fixed property related costs which occupy property, or part of a property, with a rateable value or annual rent or annual mortgage payments below £51,000.
- Businesses which can demonstrate that they have suffered a significant fall in income due to the Covid-19 crisis
- Business with fewer than 50 employees
- Businesses that were trading on or before 11th March 2020
Prioritised for these types of business
- Small businesses in shared offices or other flexible workspaces. Examples could include units in industrial parks, science parks and incubators which do not have their own business rates assessment
- Regular market traders with fixed building costs, such as rent, who do not have their own business rates assessment
- Bed & Breakfasts which pay Council Tax instead of business rates
- Charity properties in receipt of charitable business rates relief which would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rates Relief or Rural Rate Relief.
If your businesses is not on the above list, you may still apply if you are able to provide sufficient evidence that you meet the above criteria.
However, the eligibility criteria for this Fund, set by Central Government, directs us to prioritise those 4 business types. Therefore it is possible that the available Funding may all be allocated to businesses within the above list.
Businesses which are eligible for the existing grant schemes will be ineligible for this grant. Businesses which received the Small Business Grant Fund (where businesses in England who are in receipt of Small Business Rates Relief (SBRR) and Rural Rates Relief (RRR) in the business rates system were eligible for a payment) are also ineligible for this Discretionary Grant.
However, businesses who are eligible for the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme (SEISS) are eligible to apply for this scheme as well.