Statutory sick pay

People who follow advice to stay at home and who cannot work as a result are eligible for statutory sick pay (SSP), even if they are not themselves sick.

Employers are expected to use their discretion and respect the medical need to self-isolate in making decisions about sick pay.

From 1 April, people who are identified as clinically extremely vulnerable (also known as being on the Shielded Patient list) are no longer being advised to shield from coronavirus. This means they will not be eligible for SSP or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) on the basis of being advised to shield, given the lifting of shielding measures nationally.

Universal Credit and Employment and Support Allowance

Anyone not eligible to receive sick pay, including those earning less than an average of £118 per week, some of those working in the gig economy, or self-employed people, are able to claim Universal Credit and/or contributory Employment and Support Allowance.

For those on a low income and already claiming Universal Credit, it is designed to automatically adjust depending on people’s earnings or other income. However, if someone needs money urgently they can apply for an advance through the online journal.

You can get more information about Coronavirus, sick pay and claiming benefits on the Understanding Universal Credit website.

Child benefit

Parents of new-borns can still claim Child Benefit without having to register their child’s birth first to ensure that they do not miss out on payments.

For more information and to make a claim, visit the child benefit section on the government's website.