With the upcoming royal celebrations for The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee you may be thinking about holding a street party to celebrate. We support the holding of street parties and welcome enquires from the public to help celebrate. We’ve put this guide together to help you plan your party and answer any questions you may have.


Q. How do I start to coordinate a street party?
  • If you are organising a street party you should read this information and completed the application form.
  • Additional Guidance is available at Gov.UK website

It’s also a good idea to appoint a coordinator from your group. This person can liaise with us for permission or advice. It will also provide us with a single point of contact and help speed the process up if permissions are needed.

Make sure all residents affected by your event are made aware of the arrangements. For example, closing your street off will impact on access to properties.

Making people aware of the details they can make alternative arrangements where necessary and are less likely to complain.

Q. Do we need insurance cover?

You are not required to hold public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party. If you think that insurance would be a good idea you might find it helpful to visit Streets Alive and The Big Lunch website for further advice.

Quotes for insurance can start from as little as £50. The cost can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the cost.

Q. Do I need to do a risk assessment?

You do not have to do risk assessments for your street party, but you may wish to think about how you can minimise things going wrong. For example, what would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque? Thinking about these things in advance could save a lot of trouble on the day.

Q. We’re serving alcoholic drinks, food and playing music do we need licence?


No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you do want to sell alcohol you will need to apply for a Temporary Events Notice.


No, as a private party, you do not need a licence unless you want to sell hot food and drink after 11pm. Think about asking all your neighbours to bring a dish to share. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.


No, if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you’re not making money then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it’s live or recorded.

Q. Do I need a food hygiene certificate to serve food?

No, just remember to follow these basic rules;

  • Keep food covered and where necessary refrigerated as close to service as possible
  • Wash your hands before handling food
  • Keep food surfaces clean
  • Cover any cuts or scratches with a plaster
  • Make sure food is cooked thoroughly
Q. We’re having a tombola/raffle, do we need permission?

Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations.

However, if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration, but do speak to us first. Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even to cover the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you did want to raise some money for a specific charity, you can always ask people for donations.

Q. What if I need to close my road?

The first question to consider is do I need to close my street as many street parties can and have been held in the front gardens of each other of houses

If a road closure is required for street a street party then this is for the council to agree and approve. Some streets are easier to close than others, think about other residents, emergency services access and how your closure will impact on other streets around you. Please complete the form below and send to the council within 12 weeks of any street party

A cul-de-sac is the easiest of areas to close off:

  • Advise all residents in the cul-de-sac of the event
  • Advise the council of the closure and obtain permission
  • Close the entrance to the road with a clear sign across the whole width of the road. Road cones are ideal for this purpose. See drawing within the application form as these can often be purchased/hired or borrowed from local contractors

Closing other streets off is more complex. All roads can be closed, however traffic has to go somewhere and complex diverts are occasionally used which can be costly. Make sure you contact the council for advice and permission.

Road closures will note normally be approved before 12 noon

Before you apply for a road closure, consider if your road is:

  • a through road
  • a bus route
  • an A road
  • a feeder road to an estate
  • close to a hospital, police station, ambulance service or fire station where access is required at all times

Also consider if there is there a piece of land off the highway that would be more appropriate for your party.

Whilst we will try to approve all road closures for street parties, this may, on a small number of occasions be impractical. To ensure the safety of all road users the council may require a formal traffic management system to be put in place and this may incur a cost to you.

Q. Are we legally obliged to keep the noise down?

We don’t want to spoil anyone’s fun, but we have to make sure people are not stopped from having a good nights sleep!

To be on the safe side:

  • Let all your neighbours, including those on surrounding streets, know about your event, what time it will finish and what you have planned
  • Be specific about when any music will end, and ensure it ends on time. The latest time for amplified music outdoors is 11pm and normally would not be any later than 10pm
  • Include a name and telephone number of an individual that residents can contact if they are being disturbed by the party
  • Take immediate action if noise levels are causing a disturbance
  • Peoples’ tolerance of all forms of noise tends to lessen the later an event runs, so make sure the music and other entertainment is reduced in the evening as children and other residents may be trying to sleep
  • Invite everyone on your street - if they are at the party, they won’t be complaining about being disturbed
  • If you do get a complaint, be understanding and helpful, and try to resolve the problem informally.

If we receive complaints about excessive noise or safety concerns about your street party this could impact on any future requests for street parties you may want to have.

Q. Do we need to clean up afterwards?

Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It’s your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy.

Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling. The council reserves the right to charge the event organiser for cleaning the area if this is not done properly.

Some other things to consider:

  • How will the council empty your bin if your party is to take place on a week day?
  • How would an emergency vehicle access your street in a real emergency?
  • How/where will cars be parked during the party to provide space for the event?
  • Chairs, tables and gazebos - consider their location and how these impact on emergency access within your street.
  • Bunting - take care when putting this up
  • Do not have bonfires or fireworks, these are not permitted on the street.
  • Barbeques are fine, but consider fire safety if you are using a gazebo.
  • It’s good to have a first aid kit handy.
  • How/where will cars be parked during the party to provide space for the event?
Your name or the organisers name if its not you
The name of the organisation that you represent
The home or business address of the person roganising the event
If you plan to close only a section of the roads, where will the closure begin and end?
Upload requirements
Residential or commercial, located on or accessed only by roads you wish to close – for example, Hawthorne Close numbers 1-15 and numbers 21-98.
Are any of the roads to be closed used by through traffic?
Are you planning on closing a road that is part of a bus route?
We will need to discuss this with you due to the potential impact, as the bus company will need to be consulted.
Will access for emergency vehicles be readily available at all times?
If not you will need to change your plans to accommodate them.
Details of the barriers you will use and the diversion signs
Have most residents agreed to this event?
Have you already consulted all premises about the road closure?
If you are planning a road closure you will also need to consult businesses in the wider area that may be affected.
We want to make sure most people are happy with this event, so if there are any objections you should let us know. Not everyone will be able to take part so let everyone know what time the party will start and end – you may want to finish by 9pm to minimise noise.
Have you thought about barriers or diversion signs that may be needed?

Example of a road closure layout

Example of street closure

Upload requirements