New Town House reception is closed because of the coronavirus pandemic and so any renewal vehicle applications will now only be accepted electronically.

Vehicle licence plates

If your vehicle licence is due to expire, don't discard your old plates. You will need to keep these on the vehicle. We'll be posting out replacement plates shortly.

New/Replacement vehicles

We'll be processing new or replacement vehicles shortly. If you have a problem with your current licensed vehicle please email us at

Thank you for your patience during these difficult times.

Licence extensions

Licences cannot be extended. If you wish to continue using the vehicle, you must pay the required fee together with the appropriate documentation before the expiry of the licence. You must also ensure that your vehicle is booked in with Warrington's Own Buses for its six-month test when it's due.

If you're considering cancelling your insurance due to the ongoing effects of coronavirus, you must inform us and we'll suspend your licence.

These are unique and challenging times for everyone, and we thank you in advance for your co-operation.


What happens if I want to cancel my insurance as I'm not using the vehicle?

If you wish to park up your vehicle as an Operator or Proprietor, and cancel your private Hire or Hackney Carriage/hire and reward insurance you'll need to:

  • Contact us by email to confirm this, and we'll suspend your licence.
  • If there are several months left on your vehicle licence, we'll be unable to amend this, but we can offer credit against the new licence once you decide to put the vehicle back on the road.
  • You mustn't remove any signage. The car can't be used for any other purpose, including private use. Even though your vehicle is suspended, it's still a legally licensed vehicle, which is no longer insured since you only hold a compliance certificate for a licensed vehicle.

The suspension can be lifted at your request once current and correct insurance is provided.

I don't want to use the vehicle as a taxi for the time being, but I do need to use it for private use during the pandemic
  1. You'll need to amend your insurance to domestic and pleasure only (please consult your insurance company).
  2. You'll need to obtain a standard MOT certificate; our compliance certificate isn't valid other than when we licence the vehicle ourselves.
  3. You must inform us and surrender the licence, ensuring that all taxi signage is removed; as the car would no longer be insured to use as a taxi.
  4. If there are several months left on your vehicle licence, we can offer credit against the new licence once you decide to put the vehicle back on the road.
I am thinking about using my taxi for deliveries
  1. You'll need to check that your insurance covers you for hire and reward in addition to the standard private Hire/or Hackney Carriage cover.
  2. You may need to obtain a standard MOT certificate for deliveries. Always check with the company you'd be doing deliveries for, as our compliance certificate is only valid when the vehicle is being used as a licenced taxi.
  3. You must inform us.
  4. All taxi signage must remain in place.
  5. If you work with an operator, it's best to seek permission to do delivery work, as you may have to remove their operator signage.
  6. Signage belonging to the delivery company should be avoided; however, we would consider this on a case by case basis.