Universal Credit is a monthly payment from the government to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Who can claim

If you live in Warrington, you can make a claim for Universal Credit if you are making a new claim for Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), Income Support, Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Housing Benefit.

You will also be transferred to Universal Credit if you have a change of circumstances that affects your Income Support, JSA or ESA.

Housing benefit can only be claimed by pensioners, people living in supported exempt accommodation (if you have care, support or supervision included in your tenancy agreement), living in temporary accommodation, or have the Severe Disability Premium included in your current benefit payments.

Council tax support is not included in your Universal Credit. You must complete a separate claim to receive help to pay your council tax.

Find out more about claiming Universal Credit on the government's website.

How to claim

To claim, you will need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • details of a bank, building society or Post Office into which your Universal Credit will be paid
  • your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • details of any savings and other capital
  • details of any non-work income, for example, income from an insurance plan
  • details of any other benefits you already receive

You won’t be able to save the online application and go back to it, so you must allow time for the form to be completed fully.

It may take between 20 and 40 minutes.

Claims for Universal Credit cannot be backdated, except in exceptional circumstances. You must make your claim immediately.

If you don’t have access to the internet at home or you need help to complete your claim, support is available at Citizens Advice BureauPlease remember to take all your information with you. In certain circumstances, you may be able to claim by telephone. The contact number is 0845 600 0723 (you will be charged for this call).